Plastic outer barrel vs steel one

emilianoksa

Frankly I do not like tilting steel outer barrels on  gbb pistols.

If I wanted to put a Guarder (or other) aluminium slide on a TM Glock would I have to have a metal outer barrel, or could I continue to use the Marui plastic one?. My pistols don't get any hard use. I never skirmish them.

I believe KWA use plastic outer barrels on their guns even though the slides are metal, so it must be feasible.

Edited by emilianoksa

2 hours ago, emilianoksa said:

Frankly I do not like tilting steel outer barrels on  gbb pistols.

If I wanted to put a Guarder (or other) aluminium slide on a TM Glock would I have to have a metal outer barrel, or could I continue to use the Marui plastic one?. My pistols don't get any hard use. I never skirmish them.

I believe KWA use plastic outer barrels on their guns even though the slides are metal, so it must be feasible.

I only use fixed outer barrels on my pistol builds so my tracer doesn't tilt on its own thread. They can cost a fortune though compared to a generic outer barrel. 

Edited by Krisz

54 minutes ago, emilianoksa said:

I have nothing against tilting barrels per se.

I just don't like steel tilting barrels under aluminium slides.

Its the paint scratching isnt it?

I guess you can leave the plastic barrel in place but the wear on it may be more, soft plastic vs hard metal sort of thing. Functionally it shouldn't make any difference.

I thought a tilting outer barrel was necessary to allow the slide to reciprocate even if the inner barrel was fixed, like the M and P for example.

I've had a look and the no tilting barrels are made so they don't fit into the slide recess but sit below it, so it doesn't need to tilt to clear the slide, awesome, another learning day.

Edited by Sewdhull

That's right.

I know they make non tilting barrels for hi capas but I didn't realise they made them for other pistols. And as you say the non tilting barrels work because they sit lower in the action and the slide makes little or no contact with them. 

I know this is in Spanish but the bloke in the video  below like the appearance of the Guarder Sig P226 kit but encountered lots of different problems with the fitting which he could not resolve eg. he ended up using the plastic TM outer barrel and ditching the Guarder steel one. He liked the look of the kit but would never recommend it to anyone. He says it takes a lot of work and still doesn't function properly. 

Edited by emilianoksa

There’s a pretty simple mod you can do where you file the underneath of the frontside of the slide recess to minimize the friction between slide and outer barrel.

Both nineball and unicorn make fixed barrels for glocks. Although the nineball one is expensive and the unicorn leaves a small gap between slide and barrel in the slide recess which is too ugly for my taste.

I prefer steel outer barrels as I like the added weight to the front to weigh up for the mag in the back.