Piston advice for SSG10

Xander S

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all,

I have an SSG10 and I have recently got a TM MK23 pistol, so essentially I am going for a silent loadout. However my (stock) SSG10 is till pretty loud, but I would like to 'fix' this. Firstly I do plan on blocking up the hollow butt plate with foam however my main question is this. Should I purchase either a WASP or Stalker piston and will they actually make a difference? If so which one and should I get a 3+ joule spring to achieve my 2.3 j site limit?

If not then do you guys think airbrake, sorbo pads, fps adjuster and m160 spring will do what the pistons do just at a lower price?

The reason I ask is I have seen a lot of contrasting information and I would greatly appreciate your advice. Thanks and merry Christmas.

On 15/12/2023 at 14:29, Xander S said:

Hi all,

I have an SSG10 and I have recently got a TM MK23 pistol, so essentially I am going for a silent loadout. However my (stock) SSG10 is till pretty loud, but I would like to 'fix' this. Firstly I do plan on blocking up the hollow butt plate with foam however my main question is this. Should I purchase either a WASP or Stalker piston and will they actually make a difference? If so which one and should I get a 3+ joule spring to achieve my 2.3 j site limit?

If not then do you guys think airbrake, sorbo pads, fps adjuster and m160 spring will do what the pistons do just at a lower price?

The reason I ask is I have seen a lot of contrasting information and I would greatly appreciate your advice. Thanks and merry Christmas.

Stock VSR style pistons (ssg10 is this) are known for being pretty loud. Thankfully it's easily solved with an airbrake.

You need to think opposite way though, bigger spring means more power to dampen down or faster moving piston to slap harder.

WASP over a Stalker every time as stalker are just copy experts in everything they do. WASP with a long air brake and then the lightest spring you can get away with, RAPAX 2J is a good one. Add some weight to the piston (it comes with sleeves) to get the heavier BB's flying, aim for about a .43 using a 430mm barrel and your piston>barrel ration should be as near as dammit good enough (which also keeps it quiet) and you'll have a really quiet setup (for a springer).

With a 430 barrel you should be easily able to achieve 2.2 J with a RAPAX 2J spring. I have this with the light WASP piston. The piston head is the cup type, so I think quite quiet even with stock head. Also the stock was filled with foam and barrel spacers fitted.

I might put in the long brake to decrease the sound but this comes with 30fps loss. 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.