Double Eagle UTR-45/M917 SHS High Torque Motor Results

pyromancer6

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi lads,

Recently decided to bite the bullet and grab myself a SHS high torque to throw in the workhorse [for better or for worse] just to see what'd happen, considering there's a SHS high torque in my G36 and that thing's a fucking animal (although it was fully built by a very certain sweary man down in reading so it's not exactly a fair comparison) 

So, here it is: a fully apples-to-apples comparison between the standard, rumoured anemic motor that comes in the M917 as standard compared to the power-sucking demon that is the SHS high torque [in comparison anyway]

Alright, no idea what happened with the video size there. I edited it for facebook sharing with our local airsoft group so my apologies. Pop it in fullscreen in the player for now I guess lol

Now I'm on the cusp of swapping motor in my DE 906C because the stock motor is getting super hot... And I found the Classic  Army 16TPA motor I dropped in was too hot as well.  

So the thing I'm most interested in is how hot your pistol grip gets, especially when spamming semi auto.  

As it stands you look to have a great gat there 😎

I might be remembering wrongly here but Negative Airsoft did a test where he found 9.9v LiFe batteries were more thermally efficient with only negligible performance drop vs 11.1v lipo batteries and didn't heat up the motors/motor grips nearly as much. I think his video might be worth a watch.

Edited by MrTea

4 hours ago, MrTea said:

I might be remembering wrongly here but Negative Airsoft did a test where he found 9.9v LiFe batteries were more thermally efficient with only negligible performance drop vs 11.1v lipo batteries and didn't heat up the motors/motor grips nearly as much. I think his video might be worth a watch.

I'd love to take a look at that test--the only reasonable way to get those results would be if some of the batteries were too weak or having issues. Otherwise, the motor only pulls the amp draw it needs and no more. To the motor, amp draw is literally all that matters, so if both the LiFe and the LiPo, at the same voltage, perform differently, it means there's an issue.

The possibility I see here is that Negative was using LiPos with too little discharge, and thus the batteries were being overdrawn, causing an apparent disparity in performance between chemistries, when in reality output amps are to blame.

I watched parts of that video when it first came out, and to be honest I didn't pay full attention to it at the time, but if remember it correctly the thrust of his post-experiment findings was that the motor does not draw 'just the energy it needs', it can draw too much and the excess turns to heat

I'll have to watch it again.  

3 hours ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

I watched parts of that video when it first came out, and to be honest I didn't pay full attention to it at the time, but if remember it correctly the thrust of his post-experiment findings was that the motor does not draw 'just the energy it needs', it can draw too much and the excess turns to heat

I'll have to watch it again.  

the motor can have more resistance, and thus draw more current, but that’s dependent on the motor and the setup. There are numerous resources and electrical engineers online that disprove the idea that a motor can draw more amps than it needs.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.