APS CAM870 Mk3 shell issue

BIGwat

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all i have a mk3 cam870 and the issue im having is in the loading tube the shells more often than not will get stuck and not come all the way forward when cycling the next shell thus not loading it, also sometimes when pushing shells up the tube they get stuck almost like theyre getting caught on something, the tube itself inside is smooth as a babies ass so my guess is the shells themselves are causing the problem from wear causing a rough surface on the base of them. id like to know if anyone else has had the same issue and/or has a better idea of what it could be before i try sanding down my shells in attempt to rectify the issue

any help would be greatly appriciated 

thanks

The shell ejector does make the bottom of the shells rough in its operation

Also, make sure you are pushing them quite far into the tube, nicely past past the loading plate   
I also noticed that mine didn’t like me trying to cock it if it was pointing downwards. Keeping it horizontal while pumping sorted that issue for me

Anything like this going on?

Edited by Enid_Puceflange

• Supporters

Quick question - are you slowly racking it? Thats a known issue with CAMs; inertia is needed to properly load. If something is wearing its probably your loading arms; I replaced mine recently and theyre not an expensive part. 

11 hours ago, Enid_Puceflange said:

The shell ejector does make the bottom of the shells rough in its operation

Also, make sure you are pushing them quite far into the tube, nicely past past the loading plate   
I also noticed that mine didn’t like me trying to cock it if it was pointing downwards. Keeping it horizontal while pumping sorted that issue for me

Anything like this going on?

Hi thanks for the response

I push the shells in with thumb as far as I can push them but sometimes even the first shell gets stuck before its properly slid in far enough to load the shell, it's like the lip of the base of the shell can't quite make it past some at the start of the loading process or the ejection process theres like a 2mm gap between the shell and the ejection arms so it's being held in place before the arms even touch the shell.

I've tried holding it horizontally too while cycling it but no success, the only way I can get that shell to cycle is shoving my finger a good 10-15 times inside the loading tube at the bottom of the shell really fast until it finally drops into its proper position where the arms will catch it

8 hours ago, SeniorSpaz87 said:

Quick question - are you slowly racking it? Thats a known issue with CAMs; inertia is needed to properly load. If something is wearing its probably your loading arms; I replaced mine recently and theyre not an expensive part. 

Thanks for the response 

I rack it fairly solid anyway but when the shell is stuck I give it a click clack of doom but still no cycle, the arms still look in good condition tbh, I'm gonna upload a video for a better idea

• Supporters
6 hours ago, BIGwat said:

That's the area they get stuck as you can see the ejection arm isn't touching the shell

Interesting. Ive been playing around in that area with my mk2 in the past few days due to different problems that I just discovered were related to the HPA tap in mine, so Im fairly familiar with it. I would check a few things. First, confirm you are using mk3 and not mk1 shells. Theyre clearly not mk2s as mk2s dont hold gas; they get their air from the shotgun reservoir. Second, if your magazine tube is 

On 28/07/2023 at 13:30, BIGwat said:

smooth as a babies ass

then check both your shells, spring, and follower for any nicks or burrs that may be binding. If the shells arent reaching the loading arms then its something in your tube thats causing the impacting issue. Confirm your spring is stiff enough (if you unscrew your magazine tube base and it tries to fly away once unthreaded its probably fine). Have you added any tube extensions or similar mods? To upload a video go to youtube and upload it, then post a link or embed the youtube video here. Also, if you get the 

7 hours ago, BIGwat said:

click clack of doom

post a pic of that same area with the bolt all the way back. That was the issue mine was having that I am currently resolving. 

16 minutes ago, SeniorSpaz87 said:

Interesting. Ive been playing around in that area with my mk2 in the past few days due to different problems that I just discovered were related to the HPA tap in mine, so Im fairly familiar with it. I would check a few things. First, confirm you are using mk3 and not mk1 shells. Theyre clearly not mk2s as mk2s dont hold gas; they get their air from the shotgun reservoir. Second, if your magazine tube is 

then check both your shells, spring, and follower for any nicks or burrs that may be binding. If the shells arent reaching the loading arms then its something in your tube thats causing the impacting issue. Confirm your spring is stiff enough (if you unscrew your magazine tube base and it tries to fly away once unthreaded its probably fine). Have you added any tube extensions or similar mods? To upload a video go to youtube and upload it, then post a link or embed the youtube video here. Also, if you get the 

post a pic of that same area with the bolt all the way back. That was the issue mine was having that I am currently resolving. 

They're mk3 xpower shells, I think I may have found out what the issue is, I took the gun completely apart so i was just left with the magazine tube (no spring or follower) and just out of curiosity slid the shells inside and it seems to be the lip on the inside of the tube protrudes more at the bottom than the top so I think I may have to file that groove down a bit, I've tried researching if this was a common issue that has happened before but no luck but I hear aps have awful quality control tho

Not sure if its something you've heard of needed doing before 

received_1647948109052365.jpeg

• Jedi_Master changed the title to APS CAM870 Mk3 shell issue
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.