Freezing gbb mags

DRaZZ

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I am looking for a cure for the issues cold weather causes green gas mags. My personal experience is freezing exhaust valve after 3 shots it frosts up and dumps out all the gas.

A quick Google has thrown up white lithium grease, which is a grease for super low temps.

Has anyone used this grease on their guns and mags?

Do you guys think that this grease may cure the freezing open valve issue? Perhaps someone has already tried this?

What do you guys think? Worth a shot (pun genuinely not intended) or just wishful thinking?

Wishful thinking. The physics of liquid expanding to gas cools the mags, nothing you can do about it.

Some manufacturers do very well with mitigating it. TM are past masters, the very newest VFC’s, some pre 2019 GHK’s are good

What gun are you using?

Its a crap gun, vorsk defender pro.

I'm not expecting to stop the mag cooling, I know that's not possible as the has expands it will suck heat out of anything in contact with it.

What I'm trying to do is line the valve with a grease that won't frost up instantly, this freezing the valve open and dumping all the gas out of the mag.

If I can find a grease that will put a thin film over the valve that doesn't freeze, the frost shouldn't be able to stick the metals together and the valve will close again.

That's the hope anyway. It may not work but this is the simplest way to stop this happening that I can think of. Failing this, a valve that doesn't conduct heat quite so well as metals do would be a better option. 

Gas magazine cooldown will always happen just because of how the gas works. Even in the summer if I full-auto any of my GBBRs, the magazines come out and they're freezing to the touch.

As for using gas guns in cold weather, NBBs work well because there is no blowback so the gas efficiency is good enough to mitigate the colder weather. I've been running a gas bolt action and my mk23 through most of the winter and I haven't had any issues. Outside of that, TM pistols work decently well in the cold because of the plastic slides and overall gas efficiency. 1911s will always struggle in the winter outside of CO2 ones, just because the mags are so tiny and store so little gas, but as soon as it gets warmer the TM 1911 is fine. I'll be trying my mp9 tomorrow as well, as I think it should work in the cold since the blowback mechanism isn't huge, but we'll see how it goes.

1 hour ago, DRaZZ said:

Its a crap gun, vorsk defender pro.

I'm not expecting to stop the mag cooling, I know that's not possible as the has expands it will suck heat out of anything in contact with it.

What I'm trying to do is line the valve with a grease that won't frost up instantly, this freezing the valve open and dumping all the gas out of the mag.

If I can find a grease that will put a thin film over the valve that doesn't freeze, the frost shouldn't be able to stick the metals together and the valve will close again.

That's the hope anyway. It may not work but this is the simplest way to stop this happening that I can think of. Failing this, a valve that doesn't conduct heat quite so well as metals do would be a better option. 

Give up. Or try anything. It’s a Vorsk, nothing will work, they’re utter shite, sorry

• 4 weeks later...
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.