[SOLVED!] Very Stiff Magazine Release/Catch on TM MTR-16 G-Edition

Guest ZeGausCaus

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Guest ZeGausCaus
I recently acquired my TM MTR-16 G-Edition and I adore it very much, however one issue simply devastates my enjoyment in using the weapon and that is the magazine release/catch.

It is extremely stiff with a magazine in, and while I'm not unfamiliar with AR platforms, I just can't believe it is so stiff to the point where I cannot use my index finger to release the magazine, instead using my thumb and pushing down quite hard until there's an audible 'click' and the magazine drops.

It's gotten to the point where I actually bruised my thumb a little, haha.

I have two magazines, the one that came with the gun and the GUNS MODIFY PMAG and both have the same problem—although the magazine that came with the gun releases a little bit easier (But still requires considerable force with my thumb).

I don't think this is normal and my first instinct is maybe to break the gun in but I have my doubts; I'm just not sure and this frustration is hampering my dream gun.

I've tried loosening the magazine release screw a bit, rotation by rotation to no use and I've tried pushing up on the magazine, it seems to help a bit with the stock magazine but makes almost no difference with the PMAG.

This problem doesn't seem to occur when I have the upper receiver separated from the lower—it's still a bit stiff and still needs the magazine to be pushed up—but at least I'm able to separate the PMAG with my index finger as long as the upper receiver is off.

I've seriously tried looking everywhere from Reddit to this forum, I really couldn't find any answers that would have helped me case, so I've resorted to making a post here myself.

Thank you so much for your time if you've chosen to read through this, I'd appreciate any help at all.

---

The solution that worked for me if anyone stumbles across this is filing down this width of the catch as it was being pushed inward more due to the angle inside of my ambidexterous magazine release. It seems to clear it just enough that it no longer tightly rubs into the magazine.

catch.png

Edited by ZeGausCaus

if it's under warranty take it back to the shop. If not remove the red area by a very small amount using a file. test fit and if still tight take a bit more off. bestr to do it slowly and not rush it or the mag won't sit correctly.

catch.jpg

Edited by mightyjebus

Guest ZeGausCaus
2 hours ago, mightyjebus said:

if it's under warranty take it back to the shop. If not remove the red area by a very small amount using a file. test fit and if still tight take a bit more off. bestr to do it slowly and not rush it or the mag won't sit correctly.

I'll give this a shot and see if this works out, thank you.

Guest ZeGausCaus
On 11/02/2023 at 14:33, mightyjebus said:

I'm not sure if I've filed enough but I'm not fully comfortable with filing off any more.

My problem still persists though, there is no worries with the magazine yet as it still seats and feeds fine.

Please excuse my poor filing work but this is how far I've filed.

Edited by ZeGausCaus

yeah thats plenty. you should have seen a difference if that was causing the issue. best bet would to go and buy one of these to try and fix the issue

https://www.fire-support.co.uk/product/angry-gun-cnc-steel-magazine-release-for-marui-m4-mws-gbb-standard-version

Guest ZeGausCaus
35 minutes ago, mightyjebus said:

yeah thats plenty. you should have seen a difference if that was causing the issue. best bet would to go and buy one of these to try and fix the issue

https://www.fire-support.co.uk/product/angry-gun-cnc-steel-magazine-release-for-marui-m4-mws-gbb-standard-version

Ah that's unfortunate, would have loved to keep the gold theme, dang.

Starting to think the issue might not be the magazine catch at all, but at this rate I don't know if I'll ever find out.

Thanks for your help though.

Edited by ZeGausCaus

You said it’s easier with the upper receiver off , what’s it like with the bolt held back ? Same as with the upper completely off ? 

I always try and get in the habit of loading and unloading with the bolt or in pistol case slide held back . 

Guest ZeGausCaus
14 hours ago, JimFromHorsham said:

You said it’s easier with the upper receiver off , what’s it like with the bolt held back ? Same as with the upper completely off ? 

I always try and get in the habit of loading and unloading with the bolt or in pistol case slide held back . 

I forgot to mention that in my post, oops, but yes it is easier with the bolt back.

It still feels stiff though as if I have to make a conscious effort to align my index finger right in the middle and seriously push the magazine release although maybe this is just because I am unfamiliar with GBB ARs as this was the first GBB AR I've had—my last two ARs were a G&G AEG and a TM Scar-L NGRS, both of which I swear didn't feel as stiff to drop the magazine, just a gentle tap that I could do without a second thought.

I'm fully willing to admit I'm stupid though and just unfamiliar with GBB ARs.

I think it would be worth trying to find someone with a GBBR M4 to compare . My WE mag catches are 'stifer' than my aeg ones but not unreasonably so . A gentle tap isn't going to drop the mags though, if you think about the bolt shooting backwards and forwards over the mag and the shaking it takes  then the catch does need to be quite secure.

Guest ZeGausCaus
59 minutes ago, Nick G said:

I think it would be worth trying to find someone with a GBBR M4 to compare . My WE mag catches are 'stifer' than my aeg ones but not unreasonably so . A gentle tap isn't going to drop the mags though, if you think about the bolt shooting backwards and forwards over the mag and the shaking it takes  then the catch does need to be quite secure.

Would probably be my best bet yeah.

I suppose I would have to just get used to it or maybe hope it breaks in over time, I just can't fathom the idea of having to adjust my grip to forcibly press on the mag release is normal, or maybe I'm just weak, haha.

Just had a quick try of both of mine. Mine are WE rather than TM but both have real steel mag catches fitted. I can comfortably drop the mag by pressing the catch with my index finger, no need to change my grip. Obviously the catch is lighter with the bolt locked back , but not massivly so.

Does the catch operate easily without a mag in ? If it's still stiff like that then you might be able to fit a lighter spring. If it isn't then it definitly needs comparing to another gun

Guest ZeGausCaus
17 minutes ago, Nick G said:

Just had a quick try of both of mine. Mine are WE rather than TM but both have real steel mag catches fitted. I can comfortably drop the mag by pressing the catch with my index finger, no need to change my grip. Obviously the catch is lighter with the bolt locked back , but not massivly so.

Does the catch operate easily without a mag in ? If it's still stiff like that then you might be able to fit a lighter spring. If it isn't then it definitly needs comparing to another gun

Definitely operates easier without a mag in.

Using the same amount of pressure—when there's one in, it hits a 'wall' after a very slight amount of pressure, then really needs to be pushed hard until there's a click then it pops out.

Have you tried comparing the mag catch lug to the slot in a mag whilst out of the gun ? I wonder if the catch is dragging in the slot slightly. I'm thinking width of lug on the catch rather than hight which you have alreads worked on.

Guest ZeGausCaus
20 hours ago, Nick G said:

Have you tried comparing the mag catch lug to the slot in a mag whilst out of the gun ? I wonder if the catch is dragging in the slot slightly. I'm thinking width of lug on the catch rather than hight which you have alreads worked on.

After taking a very long hard look and even filing some bits, I might have genuinely found the problem, and I might be stupid as hell for it.

I'm assuming the cylindrical rod that connects to the button of the mag release, if you were to lay the mag catch flat on the ground—that it should be facing straight upwards?

Because mine is bending ever so slightly, that I think it may be dragging on the slot inside my magazines whenever the magazine release is being pushed.

I think the spring inside my ambi mag catch might be too strong which is what is causing the bend.

I could entirely be wrong, but I have a feeling that isn't right?

I might have taken a bit of a bad angle, but it is much more noticeable IRL.

Edited by ZeGausCaus

That an ambidextrous mag catch , so you can also release the mag with your left hand , they do tend to sit at a bit of an angle. However it should be adjustabe. It looks like there is a grub screw at the right of your picture and it looks to be wound all the way out. You should be able to screw that in slightly which will alow some movement in the actual 'catch' part . Try that, I think you may have found your problem.

Guest ZeGausCaus
6 hours ago, Nick G said:

That an ambidextrous mag catch , so you can also release the mag with your left hand , they do tend to sit at a bit of an angle. However it should be adjustabe. It looks like there is a grub screw at the right of your picture and it looks to be wound all the way out. You should be able to screw that in slightly which will alow some movement in the actual 'catch' part . Try that, I think you may have found your problem.

Unfortunately it doesn't appear to be a grub screw and there's nothing I can see to screw in, its a piece attached to the, 'arm' of the catch I suppose, after taking it apart the only thing unusual I can spot is that the spring is slightly bent at an angle instead of straight, that's really it though..

• Guest changed the title to Help Needed: Very Stiff Magazine Release/Catch on TM MTR-16 G-Edition [SOLVED!]
Guest ZeGausCaus
7 hours ago, Nick G said:

With great help from both of Nick G and looking carefully at the mag catch, filing down the width that sticks into the magazine solved my problem as it was effectively catching onto the magazine the most due to how angled inward the arm is!

Thank you for the both of you, its nowhere near as stiff and I can now reliably eject the magazine without having to use my thumb or changing my grip around.

After putting a few mags through, I can confirm the magazine still reliably feeds, engages the bolt lock and holds up in both semi and full auto.

I'm glad to finally be able to put this silly issue behind me and can finally enjoy my MTR-16 for what it is.

I hope nobody ever has to bear this curse as I have.

Once again, thank you so much for your and everyone elses help here.

Edited by ZeGausCaus

• Guest changed the title to [SOLVED!] Very Stiff Magazine Release/Catch on TM MTR-16 G-Edition
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.