The VFC PSG1 Build Thread

LzChase

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Here I will post updates on the PSG1 build. If you follow this thread, be patient as delivery times on the parts are pretty long, up to a month for some.

The Original Thread, Includes build plan: 

Note: In the pictures, the rifle is equipped with placeholder parts borrowed from my VSR. They're going to be swapped for much higher end parts made for real rifles to ensure that they're able to handle GBBR recoil.

The first thing I did after confirming the rifle was functional and all parts were sent was to polish the hammer and bolt carrier to ensure smooth cycling. The cocking handle support was also partly polished, it is not visible when the bolt is closed. As mentioned in the previous thread, the hammer will be replaced with a steel version if one is made for this gun. They were polished using a small file, 800 grit sandpaper and polishing compound. In the pictures they appear matte because as they have a thick coat of silicone grease.

Airsoft YouTuber BadaBingPictures ( https://www.youtube.com/c/BadaBingPictures ) discovered that the grip is fragile. While I really like this gun, I agree that the grip could have been better, the solution to pin the two pieces together instead of gluing them or making a "snap in place" construction is a bit strange. To remedy this, I reinforced the grip with superglue, this will hopefully do until I've tracked down a real wood grip.

IMG_20220824_184241.jpg

IMG_20220824_184830.jpg

IMG_20220824_184855.jpg

IMG_20220824_184610.jpg

IMG_20220824_185259.jpg

Edited by LzChase

2022-08-25

The Shim Update

I have shimmed the butt plate so that it has tension on it when it is all the way in. This prevents it from moving around as there is no real lock to keep it in place, just a friction clamp. This simple change made the stock feel a lot more solid. I also shimmed the rubber cover for the butt plate itself so that it becomes ever so slightly wider on one side, as it was not pefectly aligned with the stock. It is still not perfect but it is better, I might redo this to better standard sooner or later. The factory grease was wiped out of the gun after a few cycles and replaced with fresh silicone grease, and the spring guide rod was polished. this in turn lead to an even smoother bolt with pretty much all feel of "grit" gone. I'm still not sure why pretty much all manufacturers decide to use a matte paint on the guide rods, it just makes performace worse.  

IMG_20220825_180336.jpg

IMG_20220825_180403.jpg

IMG_20220825_180743.jpg

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.