Upgrades people, upgrades.

ModernTimes

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I just recently swapped my stock motor out from my Specna Arms SA-C08 CORE™ Carbine AEG for a Big Dragon M140 and it has given me an increased rate of fire along with what feels like slightly more power. I am still learning and researching into installing a MOSFET since it requires soldering work but that is an upgrade I will also be doing. Both of these upgrades along with getting 11.1v batteries were suggested in a past post from @Rogerborg so thank you for the advice.

As for these upgrades I am doing, is there anything I should be aware of?

Edited by ModernTimes

That no battery or motor will increase power by itself.

You only get more power by:

Eliminating/reducing air leaks and inefficiencies from piston seal and hop seal

Increasing the swept volume in front of the piston

Increasing spring strength (assuming you have haven't reached the maximum possible power for your given swept volume/seal/barrel arrangement)

Lengthening, or shortening, the barrel. Context dependent.

Changing the battery and motor will simply affect the rate of fire and usable shot count.

If you're doing any upgrades or modifications at all, your No1 diagnostic tool is a chrono, which will tell you whether you are actually increasing or decreasing power.

'Feel' of the shot cycle is a terrible metric and often counterintuitive. The harshest, 'most powerful' feeling guns are often just running inefficiently or at the edge of tolerance for the internal parts.

Back in the day people used to cram massive square section springs in air rifles, and because they were hard to cock and thumped like hell when you shot them they thought that they had made their airgun super powerful. The truth is that usually they had ruined the gas efficiency of the gun, shortened its operational lifespan and, ironically, often made it less powerful.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.