G&G CM16 SRXL suitable for a DMR

steverebo

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So I managed to grab a CM16 SRXL from used airsoft for £80 boxed like new but was only shooting 210fps. I fixed this instantly by replacing the old style hop unit with a zci rotary and a new spring.

Now this is my 4th rif and I have decided that this could be my DMR build but I wanted to know if this platform is suitable 

• Supporters

Sure, a DMR just means a heavier spring and locked to semi.  Anything beyond that is gravy and LARPing.

I'd radius the gearbox, maybe think about a longer barrel and barrel extension, but even that's more about looks.  On that, your local site(s) may be sniffy about a "5.56mm" DMR because, well, LARP.

1 hour ago, steverebo said:

So I managed to grab a CM16 SRXL from used airsoft for £80 boxed like new but was only shooting 210fps. I fixed this instantly by replacing the old style hop unit with a zci rotary and a new spring.

Now this is my 4th rif and I have decided that this could be my DMR build but I wanted to know if this platform is suitable 

Nah, I wouldn't personally. I have the SRS and my neighbor the SRL.

Whilst current G&G gearboxes are better than the first generations of Combat Machines, they still very much middle of the road in terms of overall durability and quality of components. You will end up binning a lot of the internals in the quest for reliability - for example even the bushes are sintered bronze, not known for longevity under high stress. The Gearbox cases are not exactly stellar in terms of strength and quality either.

Ive already replaced the piston head with a gearparts pom, piston with a zci cnc 14 tooth one, cylinder head with an fps softair one. These were all parts i had left from previous builds that got chnaged.

I also ordered a new zci 363mm barrel because the aluminium one it came with was appalling 

• Supporters
20 hours ago, Speedbird_666 said:

You will end up binning a lot of the internals in the quest for reliability

Or, run it until it breaks, then replace it?  I'm running a notoriously weak Orion gearbox and Collapse-O-Bearings as an M140 / 1.8J DMR.  It's unlikely to last, but... it is lasting.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.