Night Vision passive aiming optics?

Fooz_The_Hostig

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello all, I recently got some nods and been shooting under them with IR for ages now but would like to be able to shoot passively too. I was looking at the vector optics maverick but unsure if the dot would be dim enough to use under nods. Does anyone have any experience with using red dots under night vision and have any optics they would recommend? Thanks in advance :) 

The best option I've found for repro's are the holy warrior Airsoft XPS or 553

Alternatively take a look at the holosun or vortex optics for cheaper real steel warranty with NV capabilities. (Having a dedicated NV mode is a must or you may damage the tube. Some tubes have a better autogating system than others.)

There's no NV mode on the Vector Optic Maverick sadly.  They do other models with NV modes.

I hear mixed opinions on the Holy Warrior/Evolution Gear Eotech replicas.  Some people find them good for NV, other don't.  In theory, they have NV modes but there's possible QC variances between batches.

Otherwise look at Holosuns or Vortex as mentioned.

I have used a lot of optics under nv and your decision is likely to be based on what generation of night vision you have but I think it's sensible to be looking into passive more and more. The last weekend event I did I saw one ir laser, the whole time, there was so much nv on site that lasers just give your position away too much (caveat on that later). 

Ultimately passive aiming through NV is expensive, you're generally looking for real optics. 

I currently have/use the following: Vortex sparc ar, vortex crossfire red dot, Holosun (can't remember the specific model) and an eotech 512 (real), holy warrior eotech xps. Previously owned Aimpoint comp m2, comp m4 and an evolution gear eotech. I have owned acm clones of eotechs etc but ignoring them are they arent usable for nv. 

My recommendation would be a holosun red dot (like a aimpoint t2 style) or a vortex crossfire and put it on a riser, such as the unity tactical fast mount. There are clones that work for airsoft, pts ones around £55 and acm around £15. There is another mount called the scalar works which is higher than standard, but not as high as the unity. I haven't recommended the sparc ar as you can't change the mount and would strongly recommend you do, or at least retain the ability to do so in the future. 

The holy warrior xps has a night vision mode, but it's lowest nv setting is the same as the highest nv setting on a vortex or holosun. It effectively creates a photonic barrier so you can see it, but not past it onto your target......which isn't that helpful. It's just about useable but compared with vortex and holosun isn't ideal.

The eotech 512 on a riser is amazing - easily the best. Has a nice big window to look through, the reticle is just amazing but you're lucky to get one under £350 even second hand plus the riser.

The aimpoints were good, smaller windows but did the job well. It's just the holosun/vortex ones do the same job (for airsoft purposes anyway) and are around half the price as again, you'll be lucky to get one for less than £350. 

The vortex and holonsun, you're looking around £150-£170 new plus the new mount, they're great in the day, the night vision modes work well and they can be set nicely, for not ridiculous money. The holosun has a shake awake feature, which is nice but not essential. Can save batteries though. 

I would recommend keeping the IR laser, in buildings they're handy for the amount of "splash" they can create where there is less ambient light. I'd also recommend an IR torch on a pressure switch for similar, but can be handy, especially outside. 

BTW, a night vision mode is nice, its better than using the same optic on a non night vision setting. But it's not mandatory, in fact at some events you're better of using the red dot version of it. 

The nv mode is essential if you're attaching your NV device to the rif, but when head mounted, for a general look through, aiming etc it should be fine for a standard gen 3 device (has been for me!)

The reference to having it in red mode rather than nv mode is once a contact is initiated it's amazing how often it switches to lots of white light and having it in red mode for that can be handy, without having to change it, flip your nods up etc mid contact. you'll just have to play with it to decide what you like. 

Edited by Emergencychimps

• 2 weeks later...

I've recently picked up a Vortex Spitfire HD Gen II 3x Prism Scope, has the NV Mode & works fine under Nods

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.