Jump to content
Airsoft Forums UK

RIF from overseas.


 Share

Recommended Posts

A friend of mine managed to acquire a rifle I wouldnt have been able to buy myself from a french site which doesnt deliver to the UK. While I have a UKARA ive been told that UPS refused to ship it despite that. I'm just wondering whats up with that and If It can be shipped.

The rifle is just a Umarex X95 which is exceptionally rare to find new.

Edited by Karinexmachina
Link to comment
Share on other sites

unless you know some one in a country they do ship to if the retailer doesn't want to play ball your stuffed. i would think the carrier not shipping to the uk is just their excuse.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A friend of mine (@Baiok) bought a RIF from TaiwanGun and had it shipped to his family in Italy then they arranged shipping to UK 😄

Cost him about the same as buying from UK but if its not available here then it makes sense.

 

Edited by EDcase
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's in france, the french supplier wouldnt ship to the UK so i asked a friend of mine in france to get it for me. I'm not sure how to get it here from that point though

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Supporters

Your friend just ships it to you, with your UKARA, declared/insured etc as you see fit 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My friend told me UPS refused to take it as they couldnt guarantee it would get to me... its still in its box new and weighs 3.5kg.

Brexit is likely gonna affect this as well especially since its coming from France.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Supporters

Jeez, never, ever use UPS. They are absolutely terrible for anything international
 

Use La Post

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Karinexmachina said:

My friend told me UPS refused to take it as they couldnt guarantee it would get to me... its still in its box new and weighs 3.5kg.

Brexit is likely gonna affect this as well especially since its coming from France.

The Brexit ‘issue’ with it is just the crossing of a border out of the EU single market and into a ‘third country’ - it’s being exported from France / EU and imported to the UK

 

You also end up paying VAT twice -

 

1) French VAT as you purchased in France, but nobody gets to reclaim French VAT as an export  

2) UK import VAT, and the handling fees

 

You also pay for multiple sets of postage 

 

The current problem is with things getting held up on the border. In your case UPS don’t want to be stung with the hassle of your friend claiming compensation if it dissapears into a black hole, and the extra expense that UPS incur sitting on it using space in secure warehousing awaiting processing and for you to pay import charges 

 

A slightly ‘easier’ method is for either you or your friend to drive across via the channel tunnel, bringing it across and declaiming to customs on the way through 

Complete with travel expenses & covid procedures 

Edited by Tommikka
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

4 minutes ago, rocketdogbert said:

Jeez, never, ever use UPS. They are absolutely terrible for anything international
 

Use La Post

 

 

So people have been able to send RIFs to the UK with a UKARA provided recently? This would be my first time receiving from a friend and not a retailer and its a pretty rare to find rifle new.

2 minutes ago, Tommikka said:

The Brexit ‘issue’ with it is just the crossing of a border out of the EU single market and into a ‘third country’ - it’s being exported from France / EU and imported to the UK

 

You also end up paying VAT twice -

 

1) French VAT as you purchased in France, but nobody gets to reclaim French VAT as an export  

2) UK import VAT, and the handling fees

 

You also pay for multiple sets of postage 

 

The current problem is with things getting held up on the border. In your case UPS don’t want to be stung with the hassle of your friend claiming compensation if it dissapears into a black hole, and the extra expense that UPS incur sitting on it using space in secure warehousing awaiting processing and for you to pay import charges 

 

A slightly ‘easier’ method is for either you or your friend to drive across via the channel tunnel, bringing it across and declaiming to customs on the way through 

Complete with travel expenses & covid procedures 

Oh wow thats what it would take?... jeez

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Tommikka said:

It’s an option when there are issues with the post.   Not essential if another carrier will take it

So it can be solved just finding someone to carry it and paying the other expenses?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Karinexmachina said:

So it can be solved just finding someone to carry it and paying the other expenses?

Possibly …. As long as it doesn’t breach any policy of the channel tunnel etc 

(It should be suitable to carry in its original box, covered up, secured in a car boot etc)

 

Fine print on booking terms etc should be checked 

 

… and of course as long as you don’t fall foul of customs staff being awkward if ‘random person’ with no VCRA defence arrives with a RIF and they don’t accept “I’m bringing it for @Karinexmachinawith their UKARA details here”

Edited by Tommikka
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Tommikka said:

Possibly …. As long as it doesn’t breach any policy of the channel tunnel etc 

(It should be suitable to carry in its original box, covered up, secured in a car boot etc)

 

Fine print on booking terms etc should be checked 

 

… and of course as long as you don’t fall foul of customs staff being awkward if ‘random person’ with no VCRA defence arrives with a RIF and they don’t accept “I’m bringing it for @Karinexmachinawith their UKARA details here”

Thats not what i meant.. I meant a different carrier as in... different postage carrier..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...