Engineering question - to helicoil or not to helicoil

Lozart

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

Last game out I lost the gas plug from the front of my Cyma M14 Socom. Cue much searching of the inetrwebs and the only replacements I can find are the PDI ones that purport to be for the TM M14 range.

So I splash out on both the regular and short gas plugs along with a Smith Enterprises front sight (if you know you know) BUT the PDI gas plugs are not the same thread as my various M14s (one ASG/Cyma longboi, Cyma M14 Socom and a Cyma EBR Mod 1). After much fiddling with my digital calipers the PDI ones appear to be M10 x 1.25 but the original ones are M10 x 1.12 (possibly M10 x 1.0). The question is - do I drill it out and fit an M10 x 1.25 helicoil or just try and push an M10 x 1.25 plug tap down and hope there's enough meat for the thread to form?

What say you, engineering types?

• Supporters
2 hours ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

Helicoil it

Roger that!

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.