Suppressor Front Cap?

LzChase

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

When my HK416 has it's "regular" setup instead of being used as a DMR, it has a much smaller 195x32mm Mock Suppressor, a M-ETAL D-Type to be exact, a very light can. Mine is fully foam filled and doesn't have the spring installed as the foam seems to stay in shape just fine without it, and the fact that it looked kinda strange with it in.

But enough about that. Those small holes in the front cap of a lot of mock suppressors (and some real ones I think), What are they?

Edited by LzChase

In firearms? It’ll be something to do with controlling the gasses (I’m certainly no expert but from my loose understand suppressors slow down the release of the gasses, which in turn reduces the sound). Can’t say I’ve seen ‘exhaust holes’, for lack of a better term, in the front of a suppressor because I’d imagine it largely defeats the object of using one but science is weird so that’s not to say they don’t exist.

(General note that suppressors don’t only exist to reduce sound in RS shooting, it’s just general signature reduction so cutting down on fireballs out of the front and the like.)

In airsoft? Nothing. As with most things to do with suppressors in airsoft (outside of a few NBB RIFs and HPA) it’s all for show/arbitrarily making a RIF longer, worse balanced and more unwieldy in all in search of looking cooler (subjective)… or trying to clone a particular RS firearm.

Edited by alxndrhll

A suppressor aims to capture fast moving, hot pressurised gases, and to slow & cool them for as long as possible before exhausting the gas.

Here are some demonstrations of how some (non standard) designs work (or fail)

…. a longer version with more explanation of what’s going on plus heat & sound patterns

This one goes into a short run through of classic baffling, and shows the principle exhausting out of the front of a suppressor:

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.