Free Float Barrels and Suppressors?

LzChase

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

As mentioned in a previous thread, I recently finished a build. Then I started thinking, is this actually a good setup? Not concerning the debate surrounding suppressors for looks, but rather in terms of weight. Can it be ran like this or does this put too much weight on the free floating barrel? Like can it be "unhealthy" for the gun?

The factory outer barrel extension (the visible outer barrel between the suppressor and gas block) and suppressor together weigh 347 grams (0.765 pounds or 12.24 ounces.)

TgsOfUw.png

• Supporters

I wouldnt worry about it.

Unless it's an especially heavy can (looking at you lct pbs4) or you're regularly knocking it into things.

What's more likely is striking the can purely because the can isn't well made tolerance wise (still looking at you lct pbs4) or the barrel thread is a little off.

25 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

I wouldnt worry about it.

Unless it's an especially heavy can (looking at you lct pbs4) or you're regularly knocking it into things.

What's more likely is striking the can purely because the can isn't well made tolerance wise (still looking at you lct pbs4) or the barrel thread is a little off.

I googled Lct Pbs4 and that is the heaviest suppressor, even as a tracer unit, I have ever seen

Edit: oh so the tracer unit is optional. and with it in the weight goes up to over 800g

......okay then

Edited by LzChase

• Supporters
58 minutes ago, LzChase said:

I googled Lct Pbs4 and that is the heaviest suppressor, even as a tracer unit, I have ever seen

Edit: oh so the tracer unit is optional. and with it in the weight goes up to over 800g

......okay then

oh the tracer unit in it weighs almost nothing.

reason it's so heavy is because the walls of the can are no joke 4mm thick steel.

• Supporters

Unless your outer barrel is barely held on or the it's made of cheese and you smash the far end of the whole assembly in to stuff regularly it won't matter in the slightest.  Being non-freefloat wouldn't help either, free floating means there's a little less weight/force potentially being applied to the barrel, which would then in turn be applied to the upper anyway.  Either way, the sort of long term drooping fatigue I'm guessing you're imaging is not a thing unless the parts are some unimaginably terrible material I've never seen in a RIF.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.