Krytac Trident Spr Issue

Just Joe

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello all,

It took my Krytac Trident SPR out for its first day at the weekend. Now I bought this second hand for a bargain of £150, for the price I paid its performance was amazing. 

It did have a slight issue I haven't come across before! I only really noticed it when using it in semi but about every 6 or 7 shots the BB would just not travel the same distance as the others.

I don't have a chrono so I wasn't able to see if it was a drop in FPS (It didn't really look like it however).

My thoughts are that I just bought a gun that was relatively tired and could perhaps just do with a hop rubber replacement?

• Supporters
10 minutes ago, Just Joe said:

Now I bought this second hand for a bargain of £150, for the price I paid its performance was amazing. 

It did have a slight issue I haven't come across before! I only really noticed it when using it in semi but about every 6 or 7 shots the BB would just not travel the same distance as the others.

Sounds lik it's performance is about on par with a £150 second hand gun.

Checking the hop rubber is always a good place to start but before you do, do you know what the original owner has done to it in terms of modifications? Could be misfeeding every now and then. Does it always happen with a particular magazine for example? Have you made sure you've not got some different weight BBs mixed in?

Yeah it was surprisingly good.

I'm lead to believe, completely standard.

Used strictly Valkrie 0.28g BBS.

Didn't check particular mags

• Supporters

Do you have any other BB's you can try it with?

Does it happen in semi when you fire quickly or does it happen when you fire it slowly and deliberately (ie not spamming the trigger). Is it completely fine in Auto? 

No others BB's to hand. Any suggestions welcome but I've found Valkries to work great in my other krytac (vector)

I was adjusting the hop when I really noticed it. Firing with about a second pause to check flight.

Can't recall auto.

Seems like I have some more testing to do then

Edited by Just Joe

• Supporters

In terms of other BBs I was more thinking of trying a different weight to check if the mags are struggling for some reason.

If the hop is working well with your 0.28s then I would tend to think it's OK. If it was torn they'd be all over the place.

When you get a shot that drops sooner, is it definitely just one BB or could it be double feeding?

Just the one. Its not likes its dropping rapidly, but about half the distance it should (at a guess).

• Supporters

Personally, I'd be tempted to get a small bottle of some different ammo and see if it does the same thing (same weight, different manufacturer and different weights too if you can swing it - maybe ask a buddy if he has some spare he can let you try).

You could try swapping the hop rubber, I'd usually suggest a Maple Leaf but the Krytacs have a weird nub so I'm not sure it'll work without changing the arm a bit and then you could be introducing other problems.

I'll try and check to see if anyone has. I don't have many pals to ask (who airsoft) I'm afraid. 

That's good to know. Don't fancy messing with the hop arm. 

Is that a definite that it would cause issues? 

• Supporters
2 minutes ago, Just Joe said:

I'll try and check to see if anyone has. I don't have many pals to ask (who airsoft) I'm afraid. 

That's good to know. Don't fancy messing with the hop arm. 

Is that a definite that it would cause issues? 

It's not a definite that modding the arm would be a problem, it's just that you might be changing the wrong thing to fix the problem you have an inadvertently add another problem!

Do you have a chrono? Might be worth seeing if the shots that drop are coming out at significantly lower FPS in which case it may be that the hop isn't sealing brilliantly or there might be an air seal issue in the gearbox, though to be fair I would expect that to be more consistent.

28 minutes ago, Lozart said:

It's not a definite that modding the arm would be a problem, it's just that you might be changing the wrong thing to fix the problem you have an inadvertently add another problem!

Do you have a chrono? Might be worth seeing if the shots that drop are coming out at significantly lower FPS in which case it may be that the hop isn't sealing brilliantly or there might be an air seal issue in the gearbox, though to be fair I would expect that to be more consistent.

Okay understood.

I don't own a chromo i'm afraid. Any suggestions for one? They are pretty useful.

Sorry, if it was an air seal / sealing issue you would expect that the issue would be more consistent or the gun to be more consistent? 

I'm hoping its not an air seal thing as I don't fancy opening up a gear box..

Thanks for the help as well 🤘

• Supporters
39 minutes ago, Just Joe said:

Okay understood.

I don't own a chromo i'm afraid. Any suggestions for one? They are pretty useful.

Sorry, if it was an air seal / sealing issue you would expect that the issue would be more consistent or the gun to be more consistent? 

I'm hoping its not an air seal thing as I don't fancy opening up a gear box..

Thanks for the help as well 🤘

I would expect the problem to be more consistent - generally low FPS. If the hop rubber was torn I'd expect more shots to be all over the place. I'm wondering if the hop unit to gearbox joint isn't holding steady, check you've still got the spring on the front end of the hop unit (possibly over the outside of the inner barrel).

Chrono wise, Xcortech ones are the usual go to, I have an X3200 but make sure you get a legit one. As with all things airsoft there's knock off ones about that are just paperweights.

I recall my SPR had a problem with certain mags. But that was feeding all of the shots not every 6th or 7th.

£150 is a cracking price, I’m about to list mine and hope I get a fair bit more for it :D  

38 minutes ago, Albiscuit said:

I recall my SPR had a problem with certain mags. But that was feeding all of the shots not every 6th or 7th.

£150 is a cracking price, I’m about to list mine and hope I get a fair bit more for it :D  

Do you know what mags they were? I've not noticed any of mine not being sound. Using lonex flash mags in it for the most part.

Honestly, I wanted a back up gun and wasn't overly fussed what it was. I put out an offer far less then the list price (gotta try it sometimes) and collected the same day. 

How have you found yours? I'm really impressed with it so far! 

1 hour ago, Lozart said:

I would expect the problem to be more consistent - generally low FPS. If the hop rubber was torn I'd expect more shots to be all over the place. I'm wondering if the hop unit to gearbox joint isn't holding steady, check you've still got the spring on the front end of the hop unit (possibly over the outside of the inner barrel).

Chrono wise, Xcortech ones are the usual go to, I have an X3200 but make sure you get a legit one. As with all things airsoft there's knock off ones about that are just paperweights.

I'm going to try and test out a few different options. Had a thought that it might be struggling to list the .28s while walking my dogs.
Few different ammo options, test full auto. 
I'll report back in due cause. Need to test it somewhere with a fair bit of range. 
I'll check the spring on the hop up prior. 

My biggest concern is that something within the gearbox needs replacing. Rather then buy a chrono i'm going to ring my local shop to see if they have one I can borrow.

I do remember it being right on the 350fps limit when I chrono'd. They only asked for one shot however..

I actually have only used it twice I think. I don’t like long guns and mainly use SMGs, And no, no idea on the mags. I ended up with some cheapo mids I went half on a box with a mate. They were a bit iffy but I picked up some other cheap ones which worked

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to all that helped.

I cleaned the barrel. Problem solved didn't change anything else.

(bit of an idiot really aren't I)

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.