Dmr Spring Too Hard

DoooomRider

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all,

Basically my DMR is shooting too hot after being sat in storage does anyone know how to  reduce the FPS down either by shooting or some other method so I can start using when this lockdown is over

Thanks in advance

spring power doesn't degrade from being sat in storage, if anything it's the other way round.  If it's a massive jump then might be worth opening it up to see if everything is working as it should.  Generally though you can clip off a coil, or heat some coils and press them closer together reducing the overall length of the spring.  A few different ways depending how much over you are.

Of course the easiest is to buy a new spring and stick that in but its not easy to get exactly the fps you want.

As ak2m4 said, the easiest thing to do with what you have is heat the spring and squash it a bit.

Its the easiest option but still needs to be done with care and a bit at a time.

Don't heat too much (red hot) or it will become brittle.

Next more difficult is to cut a coil or two off but the end must be heated and flattened.

Thanks for the replies guys,

it has jumped up about 15-20 fps from last use and I want to get working again, on heating the spring do I want to let it cool naturally? (I assume quenching will bring hardness)

how would you suggest heating?

sorry for the barrage of questions, I'm pretty new and want to get it working within limits again

If you don't have a butane torch then ordinary gas hob will work.  Try and heat evenly though it can be concentrated at one end.  Should be squashed with some kind of guide to make sure it doesn't kink and allow to cool naturally.

It won't need much heating (not glowing) and it shouldn't get more than 5mm shorter at a time.  Would be good to measure the length before and after so you can quantify the fps difference and go from there.

May sound patronising and for that I apologize but you haven't accidentally changed ammo weight whilst chronoing? Or adjusted your hop this can cause an FPS variance. 

3 hours ago, Hunka1988 said:

May sound patronising and for that I apologize but you haven't accidentally changed ammo weight whilst chronoing? Or adjusted your hop this can cause an FPS variance. 

Doesn't sound it in the slightest mate, removing potential basic faults is the best start to problem solving. I chrono using 0.2g and I've never played with hop on it so I don't think it could be either of those

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.