Cm16 Rl8 Barrel Change

Chubluke

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi everyone;

I’ve just bought a G&G cm16 rl8 off another forum user (image attached is the rifle with sight) I’m quite keen to make it have a flash hider immediately at the end of the gun (like in image attached) rather than a long barrel sticking out from the end. 

Apparently the rl8 has a 14mm thread to attach suppressors etc, but I’m guessing that is to go at the end of the barrel?

I wanted to know if this means changing the whole barrel, and if anyone can guide me as to how to do this on this rifle? Am I right in thinking I would need to get a barrel that stops just short of the end of the handrail and then screw the flash hider onto there. 

if anyone has any guidance and can also point me in the direction of the right barrel type and dimension for this rifle model that would be great. I’m a new player so never stripped a rifle down but I’m a spark so quite used to tinkering and repairing stuff. If however this is not recommended for a first timer I can take it to a tech. 

thanks in advance 

79E4D113-EBD6-4EFF-828C-840600E684AC.png

C0F9B4AD-C255-4C6A-A490-92EC5FB96320.png

Problem is the RIS, And your specification.

You want the gun you have to have the barrel terminate at exactly the correct point for the suppressor to mount perfectly. It's an almost impossible question to answer.

You could remove the RIS and see what sort of outer barrel you have. If it's a single piece barrel then you have the problems with trying to locate a multi section barrel that not only fits, but then terminates where you want it.

If the barrel is already a multi section barrel then you can buy different length sections that screw onto that, Allowing you to have any barrel length you want within that barrels specification. Be that inch or 30mm sections or something totally different. 

Only you can delve into the gun and try and work out exactly what you are working with. It's not as clear cut as reduce the barrel length by X with this new barrel.

Typical for most airsoft outer barrels can have a huge variation and whilst you would hope that there is a standard that all manufacturers follow, This is more often found not to be true.

This product might work... It also might not.

https://www.ak2m4.co.uk/external-parts/outer-barrels/xt-outer-barrel-aeg-set

Thanks for your input. Appreciate what you say about the variables with the component length to achieve this result.

I will have to have a look at it and try to remove the front receiver and then measure up to try and find the most suitable length. 

I’m pretty new to this so still getting my head around it, but it sounds like from what you’re saying there can be an outer and inner barrel, or one long single piece barrel.

Am I right in thinking that from what you’ve said, if it’s two separate pieces I can just take the outer barrel off and put a new shorter one on (as long as it matches with the inner) and if it’s one single barrel I’d have to change the whole barrel unit?

if it’s just a case of doing the outer barrel would you count that as a tricky job? Thanks for your help. 

What you are wanting to do is relatively easy, it's just parts compatiblity. Swapping an outer barrel isn't difficult but it's not as easy as breathing.

Are you wanting to shorten your outer as well or just bring the outerbarrel back into it? If it were me, I'd just bring the outer into your existing one as this would remove a large cost (in the form of a new handguard) and remove more complications of which will fit.

You will likely need a new inner barrel as well. For these parts, definitely make your way over to Pete's at @ak2m4, a full set can be bought here https://www.ak2m4.co.uk/external-parts/outer-barrels/xt-outer-barrel-aeg-set which will allow you to customise the length of the outer. He also carries ZCI inner barrels which are a must if you are using the stock G&G aluminium sorry excuse for a barrel. You'll gain a tidy boost in accuracy and also FPS with those ZCI barrels. 

Definitely doable, don't try to research exact parts for everything in advance, it won't happen, they don't list compatiblity how you'd want them to, buy the first bit that fits the bill, then buy the next to fit that one and go from there. I transformed a very boring looking 008 from this;

image.png.0968ba3ed8cde2ceca6fc5424697f03f.png

to this for less than £30 (granted not an XT outer barrel set as I knew my rail was 7" so bought a 5.5" outer barrel, 128mm inner barrel and 130mm suppressor.

KFHILd_z4r2_8qcJ1PNJE8W8VpuZIQRUpxIzK5hQAeCde5QzFnLB2Fn5JE1WNBfsWrr5vve9L4OahIKNboFzvVndkUqfmvmH6UurVT6nI9snkmVEiBft_ahCarC2DG4WBHNyDkbvFaNMM2NN6BqWMKusYlFVQ_XcPd_KezInwnFZGg24hVYx-A71W-ueZCn228-TOuwtpigcYrteNgUE0IvQCLiKq01-iPPZuv1fjxOkV90N6LrzDws5NVy8Q4r40HgJliFWL4apf3d5x0c9sfR3ix7l7zjZMNIBBfG0L1A4pYnTJ8bqY8rdMTdIIpUipSPcRcKbAAHs-6zpV8yg6o23Zy2psUMb3X2TOPIEIAJhjkdQHdpj7-IvdIu0b9ZrLS9cikjdJU06kd-75XEMGcbU1iDo22-7c5E2z8fdCG3WyrvqEMhil0w4ePvnoM52mxO-6F1cQyT7SQoCa1gl7v6etr9F1YGZyyQRduIIAMO_56XAjm-VCO1ax6q1AweIebuldGXYkQz50sSaPLQjwJv63NVNvk6zpVtcTz-a5M3IzMKwT0Q6ONhmaNxNM6HxZE1sC04AiUTCOZC2B9xEqjh29gNHtfpbt_U0aNLAesJcYRIHmHOalo3zmbwyybAiU9KH3oxdlkMffYpRwLGJRx1_1EmgcuPTmMSJRrLBEwZ496jBJg_84vc2IvSVtQ=w834-h625-no?authuser=0

She looks even better now as well with a CTR style stock, no vertical grip and goes like the clappers with a set of ZCI HD 16:1's inide.

7 hours ago, Steveocee said:

What you are wanting to do is relatively easy, it's just parts compatiblity. Swapping an outer barrel isn't difficult but it's not as easy as breathing.

Are you wanting to shorten your outer as well or just bring the outerbarrel back into it? If it were me, I'd just bring the outer into your existing one as this would remove a large cost (in the form of a new handguard) and remove more complications of which will fit.

You will likely need a new inner barrel as well. For these parts, definitely make your way over to Pete's at @ak2m4, a full set can be bought here https://www.ak2m4.co.uk/external-parts/outer-barrels/xt-outer-barrel-aeg-set which will allow you to customise the length of the outer. He also carries ZCI inner barrels which are a must if you are using the stock G&G aluminium sorry excuse for a barrel. You'll gain a tidy boost in accuracy and also FPS with those ZCI barrels. 

Definitely doable, don't try to research exact parts for everything in advance, it won't happen, they don't list compatiblity how you'd want them to, buy the first bit that fits the bill, then buy the next to fit that one and go from there. I transformed a very boring looking 008 from this;

image.png.0968ba3ed8cde2ceca6fc5424697f03f.png

to this for less than £30 (granted not an XT outer barrel set as I knew my rail was 7" so bought a 5.5" outer barrel, 128mm inner barrel and 130mm suppressor.

KFHILd_z4r2_8qcJ1PNJE8W8VpuZIQRUpxIzK5hQAeCde5QzFnLB2Fn5JE1WNBfsWrr5vve9L4OahIKNboFzvVndkUqfmvmH6UurVT6nI9snkmVEiBft_ahCarC2DG4WBHNyDkbvFaNMM2NN6BqWMKusYlFVQ_XcPd_KezInwnFZGg24hVYx-A71W-ueZCn228-TOuwtpigcYrteNgUE0IvQCLiKq01-iPPZuv1fjxOkV90N6LrzDws5NVy8Q4r40HgJliFWL4apf3d5x0c9sfR3ix7l7zjZMNIBBfG0L1A4pYnTJ8bqY8rdMTdIIpUipSPcRcKbAAHs-6zpV8yg6o23Zy2psUMb3X2TOPIEIAJhjkdQHdpj7-IvdIu0b9ZrLS9cikjdJU06kd-75XEMGcbU1iDo22-7c5E2z8fdCG3WyrvqEMhil0w4ePvnoM52mxO-6F1cQyT7SQoCa1gl7v6etr9F1YGZyyQRduIIAMO_56XAjm-VCO1ax6q1AweIebuldGXYkQz50sSaPLQjwJv63NVNvk6zpVtcTz-a5M3IzMKwT0Q6ONhmaNxNM6HxZE1sC04AiUTCOZC2B9xEqjh29gNHtfpbt_U0aNLAesJcYRIHmHOalo3zmbwyybAiU9KH3oxdlkMffYpRwLGJRx1_1EmgcuPTmMSJRrLBEwZ496jBJg_84vc2IvSVtQ=w834-h625-no?authuser=0

She looks even better now as well with a CTR style stock, no vertical grip and goes like the clappers with a set of ZCI HD 16:1's inide.

ok awesome. So just trying to get my head around it, if I change the inner barrel, I can then screw those outer barrel extension pieces on until I get the desired length? I will also change the outer barrel while I’m at it as suggested.

I was reading some stuff about barrel length changing air compression? Will I need to adjust anything after the change to make this work ok? Thanks 

At the top end yes ideally if shortening your inner barrel your match your cylinder to that to avoid over voluming, get a slight ROF increase and a slightly more accurate shot as well as less creep.

I'd stay worrying about that after you get it looking like you want though as that's a full gearbox out job and a totally different can of worms.

Yes with the XT kit you pick the outer barrel parts you need to make the desired length you want. They screw together on a -14mm thread.

This is where your inner barrel would then stick out to full length so would need replacing as well.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.