Ares Vz.58 Upgrades

CzechMeOut

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello,

I have recently acquired a well used Ares vz.58 Long rifle. While it's working OK, it does feel a little weak (no chrono atm) so I'm looking to upgrade the internals but I am totally new to this.

So far based on my research I have bought the following parts:

- M110 non-linear spring

- CNC double o-ring air nozzle

- 12tpa motor

- 60 degree hop up bucking

I think this should get it back up to speed but is there anything else worth considering while I'm doing this?

- Inner barrel?

- Gears? 

- Spring guide?

- Cylinder and head?

- Piston?

Not a great deal of info on this gun!

Thanks in advance.

Since it's an Ares gun, I'd sort the airseal asap, along with a better piston and bushings (stock piston tends to explode at the pickup tooth level and the bushings are way too soft). Check the tappet plate while you're at it, as it's pretty poor quality. Cylinder may need porting and the cylinder head is fine, as long as you lube/replace the o-ring (please, no PTFE tape). Give the gearbox shell a radius because they're reported to crack easily (they're a wee bit thinner than regular shells for some reason).

Then, take the hop rubber and throw it as far away as possible because it's shit, replace it with a Prometheus Purple. The stock hop chamber is good (imo) but the arm has an integrated tensioner which is a bit meh. Works fine with standard rubbers but it's an absolute cunt if you want to flat hop/install a maple leaf. I have a flat hopped Prommy Purple and had to mod the flat tensioner to make it fit, I can show you what I've done if you want.

Nozzle should be plastic and not metal, much less that can go wrong with it, and it won't shred your hop rubber apart if something's not 100% aligned.

The barrel is fine, it's an alu 6.03, not great, not terrible, does the job. Give it a good clean.

Gears are fine, if you want to replace them, do it, but remember to slap a magnet on the sector gear because that's how the EFCS detects the cycling.

Motor, do whatever you want, I'm still using the stock motor in my AM013 but it's slowly giving up (it's 5 years old), in any case go for a good high torque.

Hey thanks for your detailed reply!

I ended up putting in a new hop up rubber, M110 spring and 12tpa high speed motor. The air seal is better than I assumed as it's now over the limit at 380fps 0.2 and 350fps 0.25 with no hop up. FPS is only varying by 1-3fps per shot which I assume is pretty good!

I didn't bother installing the metal air nozzle anyhow as I didn't want to open up the gearbox. Baby steps but I'm sure I will open it up sooner or later. Just need to watch a few more YouTube videos.

I've ordered an M100 and M105 spring to hopefully take it down in power for a game at the weekend. Then after that I'll look at replacing the piston/bushings. I've also ordered a metal spring guide since I figured there is no harm in replacing it.

Is there a replacement piston you would recommend for this gun? How many teeth? How many of them should be metal? Would I need to replace the piston head as well?

Thanks again, this is my airsoft gun and first time working on one. This is a big help as there is very little discussion on the VZ.58.

• 1 year later...
On 22/07/2020 at 16:54, CzechMeOut said:

Little update. I swapped to a Rocket M105 spring and it's now shooting at 315fps with a 0.25 and no hop up. Rate of fire is 34RPS according to my chrono!

Hey CzechMeOut

I have the same rifle, any chance you can link me to the parts you bought as Id like to do the same on my VZ58.

What all was required to upgrade and total cost please :)

I have the VZ.58 short which is currently firing best part of 400fps; any advice on how to get to the gearbox without fully disassembling the rifle?

Look for a video on YouTube covering it.

As I covered in your other thread, you'll unfortunately still need to do about 80-90% of a full strip down to be able to access the spring alone.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.