I Broke a Gift. Help!

Nathana94

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I’m hoping there’s a techy here or at least someone that knows what they’re doing better than me! 

a friend of mine had the Samurai Edge Gen 2 for a while - and jokingly I said I’d take it off his hands - and he actually gave it to me! ... the down side is I mighttttt have broken it.. I’ve attached some pics to try and show what I mean, but basically when I re assemble the slide, and put it on the gun, when I flip the slide release back to lock, it locks back further back than it should - 100% down to something I’ve done as it was fine before. All I’ve done is take out the barrel, spring and rod to check out the Internals - putting it back together just isn’t happening! 

Also a side note as I’m not sure if it matters - I might have also accidentally snapped the rear sight.. the screw to adjust the elevation was rounded and he said I should just pry it out.. hoping I can replace that pretty easy?

thanks anyone that can save my behind!

2FF0CD0D-1ECF-4AA1-9CA4-2E1B4D1D8C4D.jpeg

2937E3FF-87BA-437F-B89E-482856C23224.jpeg

First thing is if you find it isn't working properly then DON'T shoot it anymore.

Take the slide off and take a pic of the underside and a pic of the area behind the magwell.

Check to make sure any visible screws are tight.

Check for any shiny spots where metal is rubbing.

7 hours ago, EDcase said:

First thing is if you find it isn't working properly then DON'T shoot it anymore.

Take the slide off and take a pic of the underside and a pic of the area behind the magwell.

Check to make sure any visible screws are tight.

Check for any shiny spots where metal is rubbing.

sorry I should’ve clarified - when I say shooting I just mean when I’ve put the slide back on, and pulled the trigger to release the hammer tension. 

ive attached the photos - tried to get the lighting on it as best I could. You’ll see some blue specs - which was a two tone job I believe at the time my buddy purchased the gun (which, thinking about it - should I respray the slide being that I’m not registered with the UKARA yet?) anyway, the point I was making is that the slide has been that way for a good year or so, so it’s not a thick layer that’s catching or anything :P

ive tested the screws I can see - all feel absolutely fine. I’ve got some mini Allen heads on the way to access the nozzle to make sure it’s all okay in there. If the issue isn’t apparent in these pics I’ll post a broken down one when I can to see if anything stands out. 

thanks for getting back to me btw! :)

6FBA99BA-7215-4698-8BED-364CF726E322.jpeg

1D8D02B2-D009-486B-8BED-C1196804C7B6.jpeg

5977F79D-9800-4550-A08A-14AABAB881FC.jpeg

11 minutes ago, osteoshot said:

Looks to me like your spring guide is not fully seated, I think it should fit closer to the hop unit

lookat the very end of the video. But that’s a best guess 

I too think it’s the spring guide! But it’s as far in as it will go, it’s like the part of the hop unit that it seats into is too far forward, but that won’t go back any further :(

Have a look at the bit highlighted.  It should be further back as shown.

IMG_20200602_095356172.thumb.jpg.4a867867b46b671db770f7a167634cd5.jpg

It should always return to the rear position as in this video

I think once you find why its not returning that should solve the problem.

If he gave it to you already black then you're fine to keep it that way.

Glad to help 🙂

19 minutes ago, EDcase said:

Have a look at the bit highlighted.  It should be further back as shown.

IMG_20200602_095356172.thumb.jpg.4a867867b46b671db770f7a167634cd5.jpg

It should always return to the rear position as in this video

I think once you find why its not returning that should solve the problem.

Glad to help.

If he gave it to you already black then you're fine to keep it that way.

I can get it to return about 80% of the time, other 20% it stays about half way. I notice your nozzle pulls forward as you do that and mine doesn’t - As I understand that’s a bad air seal? Would that effect the slide sitting where it’s supposed to? 

your nozzle also looks set further back than mine, but I don’t think mine will sit back any further. Will the next step be taking that out to make sure all okay? 

Yes, the nozzle gets pulled forward if it sticks a bit which is generally a good thing but not that important. (mine doesn't always do that either)

If your nozzle is further forward and doesn't want to go back then that's where the problem likely is.

Might be as simple as a bit of oil but too much can actually make it stick too.

Hmm.. it does feel like it moves fine but there’s a hard stop when trying to get it back any further. Looking at a freeze frame of your video and the photo I sent - they’re probably seated the same.. so a little bit stumped! Guess it’s hard to tell without getting your hands on it. 

I should have the right size Allen keys this week to get the nozzle out, will fully strip it and re assemble to see if I can find the issue. 

thanks for taking a look! If there’s anything else you can think of let me know - this is typically my luck! Haha

6 hours ago, Nathana94 said:

sorry I should’ve clarified - when I say shooting I just mean when I’ve put the slide back on, and pulled the trigger to release the hammer tension. 

ive attached the photos - tried to get the lighting on it as best I could. You’ll see some blue specs - which was a two tone job I believe at the time my buddy purchased the gun (which, thinking about it - should I respray the slide being that I’m not registered with the UKARA yet?) anyway, the point I was making is that the slide has been that way for a good year or so, so it’s not a thick layer that’s catching or anything :P

ive tested the screws I can see - all feel absolutely fine. I’ve got some mini Allen heads on the way to access the nozzle to make sure it’s all okay in there. If the issue isn’t apparent in these pics I’ll post a broken down one when I can to see if anything stands out. 

thanks for getting back to me btw! :)

6FBA99BA-7215-4698-8BED-364CF726E322.jpeg

1D8D02B2-D009-486B-8BED-C1196804C7B6.jpeg

5977F79D-9800-4550-A08A-14AABAB881FC.jpeg

On mine it sits further back too, if you compare the pictures you'll see what I mean.

Its a strange one definitely, hope you sort it!

20200602_155533.jpg

I honestly can’t find rhyme or reason for this! The only thing I can think is somethings not right at the nozzle, but I’ve not touched that so I’d assume it to be fine! 

ive attached a video which is a bit fumbly as I was trying to keep fingers out the way etc, but just so people can see I’m doing it as intended and not doing something daft? Also wasn’t sure what angles might be needed haha

as you can see the guide rod sticks out - it was flush before!

Well, looking at that compared to my WE M9A1 the nozzle definitely stays too far forward.  Something must have shifted in there.

This should be the same disassembly for reference to get to the nozzle

6 minutes ago, EDcase said:

Well, looking at that compared to my WE M9A1 the nozzle definitely stays too far forward.  Something must have shifted in there.

This should be the same disassembly for reference to get to the nozzle

thanks for that! I’ll be diving into it as soon as these Allen keys come.. just hope that they’re not rounded as they look a bit.. well.. round on the safety switches. 

looks like the tip of the nozzle should be covered by the slide when seated on that video, can see mine hangs over. Hopefully that’s the fix I need! 

Okay so I stripped it down, re assembled and... all good! Not sure what was blocking it still. 

well.. I say all good.. I mean it’s all good without the safety switch 😫 

I think the safety is operated by the small metal ring visible in the photo I’ve attached - but when I insert the safety switch, it won’t engage this piece to switch it between semi, auto and safe - it’s either semi or it’s safe and the slide won’t go back on the gun! If I pull the metal ring up so the gun is in semi, I can’t get the switch back through but can’t see why :(

this is the last hurdle.. almost there!

image.jpg

image.jpg

I haven't taken mine apart to compare but something occurred to me which might be important.

The safety is also a decocker which ONLY works after the slide is racked back.

Otherwise it will not rotate past the auto mode.

16 minutes ago, EDcase said:

I haven't taken mine apart to compare but something occurred to me which might be important.

The safety is also a decocker which ONLY works after the slide is racked back.

Otherwise it will not rotate past the auto mode.

problem is the switch won’t even engage the mechanism for the safety, so even if I flick the switch to safe, it still shoots 😫

I did it!!

if anyone else has to strip one of these down or something similar:

the screw I thought was meant to push the little metal safety plate.. was suppose to go THROUGH the little metal safety plate.. it felt a bit tight so I didn’t wanna force it but turns out that’s how it’s done! 

absolute rookie error but I can now confidently strip my slide down completely! 

every days a school day.. thanks everyone for their help!

1 minute ago, EDcase said:

Ha, I just took mine apart to have a look.

Do you mean this screw?

IMG_20200603_193809107.jpg.24472b24bab9749516402cb5f549b911.jpg

Glad you got it in the end 👍

thats the one, but was just about to delete my post as the metal it screwed through has now snapped 😫😫😫. Is yours through that or was I wrong?

Oh no 😩

Yeah it goes though hole in the the lever plate shown in your pic.

If that has broken you may be able to make a new one out of better material using the one you have as a template

3 minutes ago, EDcase said:

😩

Yeah it goes though hole in the the lever plate shown in your pic.

If that has broken you may be able to make a new one out of better material using the one you have as a template

jeez this has turned into a disaster thread hasn’t it 😂 ah well, live and learn! Will try and get it up and running when I can! 

Lol, yeah

These things do break as they're not made out of the best materials...

Most of the time its fixable with a bit of modding or finding a spare part.

Good luck

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.