Ics G33 Hop Upgrades / Replacement

ArkleyG

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi

Usual disclaimer: have checked existing posts, can't find mention of ICS G33 hops, apart from a dead-end tangent to a G36 CNC hop post in Nov 2018. But if there's a better place to post or link this please say.

Has anyone managed to find, craft or 3D print an upgrade for the ICS G33 hop unit?

Specifically I've had 2 of the hop arms shear at the rotary dial end (narrow top stick in pic 1), so it's just this part I'm trying to upgrade. But If that means using a whole other hop I'm ok with that.

I had hoped for a CNC aluminium model (eg Maxx or Prowin) variant. But I've run into the minefield of proprietary hop units: Neither G36 nor M4 standard hops fit, as it needs a kinked mag feed tube to allow alignment at the converted mag well (pic 2)

When it works I'm happy with the rest of the hop unit: feeds well, consistent FPS, turning the dial lifted BBs, it was ace. Ideally I just want for this skinny arm to not keep breaking, any other improvement is a bonus. Most other rotary dials I've seen (Maxx, Prowin, etc) manage to have a solid wedge resting in the dial.

Any thoughts welcomed. If no suggestions I'll start a new thread about 3D printing a replacement arm, slightly thicker than stock.

Cheers

IMG_20200206_215944909.jpg

MH-19.jpg

• 3 years later...

I just pulled out my G33 after 5+ years of storage to prep for an upcoming game. Pulled out the inner barrel and hop up to clean and after reinserting the hop up onto the bucking, the hop up wasn't pressing the nub down onto the bucking and into the barrel. It felt like the plastic gear that the main rotary hop up was running on (the one you spin) was stripped a little. I took the hop up unit off the barrel again and inspected the bucking. It looked just fine, and after I put the hop up back on and tested the rotary knob, the nub successfully pushed the bucking down into the barrel. Must've misaligned it at first.

Anyways, did you end up finding a way to 3d print that hop arm? I'm nervous about potentially wearing out a proprietary hop up unit (unless you've found a 3rd party unit that is compatible?)

You are unlikely to get a response on this one from the OP - this thread is over 3 1/2 years old and the OP hasn't been online for nearly 2 years. 

The G33 hop unit is easy to source from fire-Support - they restock ICS parts regularly - Just add an email alert to notify when it's back in stock. Might take a month or two - but generally every ICS part I add to my wishlist/notify list does becomes available to buy eventually. 

https://www.fire-support.co.uk/product/ics-g33-hopup-chamber-unit-set

If you have concerns - I would buy a spare hop unit and just use your existing one until it breaks. Or just sell the G33 and buy something more generic like an M4 or G36C. 

He regularly goes to games with myself.  No luck on the 3d print. He got a replacement hop unit from firesupport in the end.

Believe the running theory to the snapping arm was an aftermarket nub being too thick.  Don't remember if he shaved the nub or kept it stock though.

But second getting a spare if you plan on tinkering.  Did seem to be a weak point in the design.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.