Dye i4 VS Dye i5

Zerofuxx
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So in my last thread somebody suggest that I purchase the dye i4 due to its reliability in the field and ease of use. I went on to ask the difference between the Dyei4 and the Dyei5 but most people seemed to think it was a go pro holder and a higher price tag 😂🤣

I went to my local store and tried on the Dyei4 (which is grade A eye/facepro BTW) with the intension of buying it but my curiosity peaked and just had to look at the Dyei5 too. 

After spending and hour with a member of staff I think I know all the pros and cons of both and wanted to share. 

Dyei4 vs Dyei5:-

Size: The dye i4 was a dead comfy mask but was slightly smaller than the Dyei5 from top to bottom. From what I could see if you have a larger or longer head then the Dyei5 would be the obvious choice if not the Dyei4 will suit you just fine. 

Lens: Both of these full face masks take the same lens meaning the is no price or clarity difference between them. However the Dyei4 wins on this part for me due to the lens being much easier to change in the Dyei4 than the Dyei5. (I will say however the lens felt slightly more rigid in the i5 to the i4 but hardly enough to matter) 

Protection: both masks are made from the same material with the same lenses as stated above. Neither mask wins on protection but both and grade A in protection anyway. 

Foam: Now this was a nice supprise and unexpected. After almost buying the Dyei4 I had a question for the shop assistant. "What happens if the foam breaks or gets dirty" to which he explained. "You cut out the old foam, then glue in a new foam." I didn't really react to this as it's the awnser I expected but then he said "Unlike the Dyei5 where the foam just pops out" 😦

The foam on the Dye i5 comes on a rail of plastic that takes seconds to swap out... Hands down the Dyei5 wins on foam! 

Strap: Another huge difference came in the strap, while the Dyei4 comes with your run of the mil strap the Dyei5 has a fairly unique strap in the form of a strap you put over your head then a dial you crack until it fits snug. 

So that is all the differences I could spot guys apart from the go pro mount. 

I hope this wasn't unneeded there just seemed to be some confusion about what the differences were and I figure this would help. 

Jeb

• Supporters

Well written bud 👍

My biggest bug bear with the Dye range was cheek weld (or more precisely LACK of cheek weld) you just can’t get a usable one with them , had one for a couple of games but just couldn't get on with it , I like using my iron sights too much so i sold it on at the NAE last yr for a very nice profit to some smug gobshite who thought he’d beat me down on the price (I’d actually bought it for half price from BZ) !

Me personally I prefer a good set of glasses and a half mesh/cordura lower face mask and just stay on top of condensation in between games with revision anti-fog wipes .

2 minutes ago, Druid799 said:

Well written bud 👍

My biggest bug bear with the Dye range was cheek weld (or more precisely LACK of cheek weld) you just can’t get a usable one with them , had one for a couple of games but just couldn't get on with it , I like using my iron sights too much so i sold it on at the NAE last yr for a very nice profit to some smug gobshite who thought he’d beat me down on the price (I’d actually bought it for half price from BZ) !

Me personally I prefer a good set of glasses and a half mesh/cordura lower face mask and just stay on top of condensation in between games with revision anti-fog wipes .

100% get that dude. I think over time I'll have multiples anyway.... Got the bug now 😂

Archived