G&P M16 A3 - Outer Barrel won't come out of the receiver - please advise

Henners
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all, 

Just recently picked up a G&P M16 A3, and have been disassembling the AEG to replace stock parts.

I've removed the inner barrel, the front sight and the grub screw which secures the outer barrel to the receiver, but the outer still won't budge - it seems like it's really wedge into the receiver, but there doesn't seem to be any other mechanism securing it into the receiver.

Has anyone else encounter this issue with G&P M16 / M4 models?

Any ideas on how to solve this one please?

Please see the attached photos - apologies, they're not the best photos, but I hope they can help show the problem,

Many Thanks!

Henry

IMG_20190123_205624.jpg

IMG_20190123_205640.jpg

IMG_20190123_205709.jpg

• Supporters

If this is one of the G&P models with a tapered fitting then chances are that the tapers have just locked together (which is the whole point of them). Try knocking the outer barrel GENTLY from the side to break the taper apart. Failing that, get a piece of wood to protect the barrel end and drift the barrel out from the inside of the receiver.

By "drift out" I mean twat it with a hammer.

Yup that's the tapered design.

It's going to be on tight.

This is how I would split it... I do not advise you do this unless you know what you are doing. If you break it, it's your fault.

If you nip down to a hardware store you should be able to pick up some nuts washers and threaded bar/Coach bolts.

The threaded bar/bolt needs to be long enough to go into the upper when sat in the lower. You will want to protect the back end of the lower Use wood, hard plastic, or enough scrap card to protect the upper. If you don't understand this... Stop.

On the bar should be placed a single nut and a washer large enough to push on the taper. Hold the bar with vice grips, Plyers ect.. don't be tempted to use 2 spanners and extra nuts! You do not need that much force!

46856650721_a463de7198_o.jpg

With the bolt and nut in place, undo the nut to put tension on the outer barrel. Don't go crazy. It only wants to be a little past finger tight.

Then with a soft hammer shock the side of the outer barrel on the thicker part where the barrel nut sits. Don't whack it. Shock it.

If it doesn't start to move add a little more pressure on the nut and washer and shock a few more times...

Rinse and repeat.

It should just come free with very little effort.

7 hours ago, Lozart said:

By "drift out" I mean twat it with a hammer.

Some good old percussive maintenance never hurt anything that was a quality build! 

but then again they call tea cups "quality" so your mileage may vary. 

/s

Archived