WE gas

emilianoksa
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

If you have removed the mag (which still contains a little gas) from a pistol and the hammer is still cocked , is it ok to pull the trigger before putting the gun away?

Some guns have decockers but these may only put the hammer into half cock.

I sometimes keep my thumb on the hammer when pulling the trigger, but not always. If the striker meets no resistance when the trigger is pulled does this risk damaging the mechanism?  

What about bringing the hammer down on an empty magazine?

With a striker fired pistol  like a Glock there would appear to be no alternative to dry firing.

Perfectly fine with mag removed, dry firing without gas to decock has no little to no impact on mechanicals. Dry firing with gas in a mag, is something you shouldn't need to do often, just take the mag out and pull the trigger to decock that way, especially as you'll be leaving some gas in the mag to help maintain the seals.

• Supporters

Non dry firing  is mainly for real antique guns with weak parts and rimfires where you can blunt the primer.

While it'd be stupid to sit and click click click away while watching tv it's fine to dry fire them at the end of the day.

I'd advise not then re-inserting the mags on a dropped hammer for storage, at least not if you want to have some gas in the mag when you come back.

Archived