Imitation Firearms in luggage

reinekurokawa
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi, I have read and search the forum and it get more confuse.

I will be moving back to U.K. very soon, I have never been in any UKARA event, so forget about the collection at the moment

I have a air pistol for AIPSC which have bright colour grip, so I guess it will only count as IF but not RIF,

1. but what about magazine, there are no way I could two tone it, and according to U.K. firearms acts, any firearms accessories are under control?

2. I read it RIF require a proper carrying container, does it also apply to IF?I don't think I found a clue about it

3. If I am bring the two tone air pistol and the magazine in my luggage, is it import? or another/extra rules applied?

Thanks

• Root Admin

1. Magazine

As far as the law is concerned, it needs to look like a gun to be subject to the relevant laws under VCRA - that means a magazine will be fine even if it's not 2-tone. You do not need to worry about this, but if they're gas magazines (I assume they are) then they can be counted as 'pressured containers' by an airline. Separate them from their bases or at the very lease remove the release valves before packing them.

2. & 3. Packaging and import

The issue is the RIF/IF as frankly you'll end up either:

1. Taking the RIF/IF with you in your luggage, having customs likely hold back your bag and request you come to collect it at the airport (at which time they'll ask you probably a load of questions that may or may not result in the RIF/IF being seized if it's borderline)

2. Posting it to a UK address of any kind and they might seize and destroy it. Or, - at best - they ask you for a UKARA number or valid defence if they think it's an RIF not an IF (which is effectively their decision)

In addition, many airlines will not allow 'guns' to be transported regardless of destination. For the majority of airlines they includes imitation firearms within this too.

All the players I've known who come from outside of the UK post their guns to a UKARA registered player who they then collect them from. I've not known many to take them through the airport on import as you could end up with a significant (hours long) delay and questioning.

Doing it via post (but disassembled) is your best option even if you don't have a UKARA number and are confident that 51% of the gun is coloured and by clearly marking on the declaration that it's a toy. There's no chance of you then getting held up at customs and the results will be the same - at worst they destroy it. My personal recommendation would be to do the following:

1. Post them to an address in the UK - even your hotel or the organiser (if you ask). There are temporary PO box services and collection points available if you need to post it well before you arrive to ensure it gets there in time. UPS and InPost (as a couple of examples) will allow you to post to a storage box

2. Put the guns in their retail packaging if you still have it

3. Declare them as toys on the declaration form when sending them

4. (As an extreme choice) consider using a plastidip/temporary rubberised spray to paint the slides a bright colour if you're unsure if half of the gun is brightly coloured

*Note that you may be liable to pay a Value Added Tax (VAT) on the guns if you declare their value properly for insurance purposes. You'll also pay a 'convenience charge' of anything up to £15).

Again, please do not take these to the airport otherwise if you have a problem you might be in for some really unwanted attention, explanation and a generally unpleasantly long stay as they go through your bag. Via the post they'll still divert and assess your guns, but this will be done before you arrive.

Archived