MSG90 from a junker G3-SG1

AndyGif290368
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

my_msg90_zpskhyemgml.png

A while ago I bought a junker of a G3-SG1, sold as seen with a non-orginal gearbox, as a project gun.

It was lucky to get the bb's out the end of the barrel when I test fired it on arrival.

The cylinder was totally not suitable to the original G3 barrel, and the wiring and trigger switch were iffy.

Sourcing the MSG-90 style stock and the type of barrel at a price i was willing to pay took longer than expected.

The I had to completely rewire the gun and replace the trigger switch in the end, got the gearbox back yesterday to find the safety latch won't engage with the G3 style trigger, so just waiting on a new g3/MP5 style one to arrive before calling the internals done. When I have the gearbox running again, I'll doctor to the selector plate so in can't shoot full auto anymore. The cylinder and piston have been swapped to the correct SG1 appropriate type and I've swapped the supplied spring for an M100. May need change that if it doesn't give me the FPS I'm hoping for, I'm looking to have it closer to 400 than 300.

Still working on the forestock, all the original holes and indentations have been filled and sanded flat, and a Picatinny rail fitted underneath for the style new bipod to mount on. Still debating whether or not to add the MSG's sloped front onto the forestock. It'll have to be a separate part from the forestock as joining the 2 bits will make removing the forestock impossible without some major mods to the original forestock mounting.

As for the lower receiver , I'm planning on removing the raised portion of the selector lever track that used to go to the full-auto position and then reinstate a pin and shaped plastic lump in the semi-auto position to stop the selector lever from going any further.

The upper receiver will need to have the cosmetic stiffening bars added to it, will be leaving the iron sights in place rather than removing them.

Then it's down to paint and reapplying the selector graphics, S & E or 0 & 1, probably the latter.

Some of you will be thinking why have you bothered, it seems like a lot of hard work...

Archived