Foam or Platic SAPI plates?

Shekmeister

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So i recently purchased a JPC replica and it came with a set of plastic SAPI plates.

Through some testing at home I found that BBs make a distinctive noise that cant be missed when bouncing off the plate carrier, however in the midst of "combat" will getting shot in the torso go unnoticed? If so would a pair of DIY foam SAPI plates be a better option?

What do you guys think?

• Supporters

The material they are made out of make a distinct noise regardless of plates as chest rigs sound much the same. If you change to foam pads or whatever you are still unlikely to feel the hits and if you run no plates you'll likely run into the issue of the plate carrier not holding it's shape properly.

I wouldn't worry too much about it as in my experience the arms/hands and head are the areas you tend to get shot in anyway. Sods law when you do get shot in the torso it's on the thin UBACS type material around your stomach lol.

Just having the plate carrier is going to stop you feeling the hits, its going to always be about hearing them once you go that route.

Not trying to hijack, but are plates a must in a pc would you say? Do they all mishape in the end with out them?

I personally think that plates do make a better fit, the plastic ones I have are extremely solid and gives the plate carrier form, it keeps its shape and prevents things like molle straps and pouches from creasing and folding in on it self .

Without plates i find that the fit feels odd especially the inconsistency in stiffness as there's barely noticeable fabric across your chest then suddenly you have hard magazine pouches pressing against your rib cage.

But that's just my opinion, hope my gibberish made sense.

I just used 2 pieces of cardboard taped together for the front & the back

that's exactly what I did lol

I did it to my son's jump plate carrier but in mine, I don't have it as my life's not dependant on it & it's more flexible for me

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.