Radios. What do I even want..?

Reptile Smile

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all,

I like the idea of a radio. I don't play as part of a regular team - just walk-ons, but the idea of having radio comes is appealing. Now, the problem is, of course, that I need a variety of compatibility, I guess...

The Baofeng UV-5r looks good, and I'm not worried about the legal aspects, but I don't know to what extent it's compatible with other radios on a 'turn up on spec' basis.

Or I could go down the PMR route, and get a Xtn or something, and it sidesteps the legal side of things, but then I don't know how compatible they are wi what other people are likely to have on the variety of sites that I play on.

Does anyone have any thoughts or experience of this?

Cheers

Baofeng are illegal to use unless you have a licence.

They are not legal to use on PMR446 frequencies because they have too much power.

They will work on the PMR446 frequencies but there is a 0.5W limit on licence free and the lowest the Baofeng goes down to is 1 Watt.

PMR446 are fine for close up use - if you are running with others, but their range is limited in woodland to just a few hundred metres.

However, if you play somewhere like the Sandpit, its moon crater appearance will give you a longer range as its line of sight (with no trees to absorb the power),

HTH

Thanks Baz. I was aware of the legal requirements, though it seems to be a bit of a moot point in that I've loads of people who run Baofengs without being caught. I don't think Ofcom have the manpower or the inclination to pursue your average airsofter, though I don't doubt it's a bit like speeding: most people do it, but it doesn't make it right, or penalty-free.

However - my question wasn't about the legality so much as the compatibility - is your average PMR446 radio compatible with the radios that other people tend to rock up with at your average walk-on, and/or is the Baofeng, and/or is there a better option..?

Cheers

I thought Id covered all those points.

PMR446 describes eight specific frequencies whilst Baofeng is just a make of radio which has the ability to cover a huge range of frequencies including those eight specific frequencies in the PMR446.

I accept your point about OFCOM but if people ask for radio advice I have to point out that its illegal to use a radio like the Baofeng.

If the players that you are playing with use PMR446, then you can communicate with them with another PMR446 compatible radio.

If they use a Baofeng or similar non PMR446, they may or may not be using them illegally, depending on licence and what frequency they are operating on.

Without a licence, you will definitely be using it illegally.

The actual requirements for PMR446 are actually really restrictive unfortunately, not only does it have to be 0.5W but it also has to have a fixed antenna and only be able of using those frequencies. In essence PMR and licenced radios are never going to be in the same device. I personally think that is a bit short sighted especially for our uses where you find people with both but that is the law.

PMR is just 446Mhz (ish) and that is well within the range of a Baofeng radio so they can certainly be programmed to it. On low power they will output ~1W, with a stubby antenna you should be able to drop that to more like 0.5W get to the "technical" requirements without the legal ones. Would still be illegal.

Personally I think you are better off going with the licenced radio. The range advantage as well as the radios themselves being very cheap is just a bonus. The licence takes about 2 weeks to get, its just a name+ address etc and about 2 weeks of time and £75 for 5 years. You might still want a PMR radio on a pickup game day if that is what people are using, I know the sandpit has a mix of both on there as does Billericay so I suspect many sites where radios are useful likely have a mix of licences.

No youve missed the point completely.

Lets put it a different way.

Legally speaking, you have two radio choices.

Buy PMR446 radios and accept the short range.

OR

Buy a Baofeng or similar, apply for the licence which allows you to use the business light frequencies and costs £75 and accept that while you have better range, you cant communicate with anybody who has a PMR446 radio.

I have both and just field whatever I need to get the job done.

With the greatest due respect, I don't think I'd missed the point at all..? What makes you say that?

I appreciate the licenced route, or the PMR route. We're just talking about different licences.

The Foundation Licence from the RSGB (well, trained by them, licensed by Ofcom) covers all amateur bands up to 10 watts. Doesn't this cover the Baofeng? (as opposed to the Business licence)

The two radio solution sounds sensible.

Ah - I'm with you. Sorry, I appreciate that I didn't exactly make that clear. No - I realised the business licence was one way of doing it. The Foundation Licence, I believe, is another, and is cheaper (but harder work - involves 10-12 hours of training and an exam).

The antenna change was from an Airsoftology video where he makes the point that it's much better for range.

Sorry for any confusion, and thanks for all your help!

I think someone has underestimated one radios, my 70 quid pair of Topcom airsoft edition one radios works just fine with little battery left through a KILOMETRE of URBAN terrain. I haven't tested any further than that because that's already over twice as big as any site I know

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.