Gearbox Internal Help (Higher ROF)

MrEnDo

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I'm redoing my gearbox new to teching understand the principles. But can't find a basic guise to ROF and bits required. I keep find things that contradict each other. So I'm basicly asking what should be I looking at buying high torque motor, 11.1v lipo, mosfet. But what gearset / do I need a delay chip. What do delay chips do? Any help or links to guides would be great.

Use I used the search feature and unless you know what to look for its useless.

Luke

Getting a high torque motor, 11.1v Lipo and Mosfet is right. Gear set wise you want something like a 13:1 or 12:1

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SHS-13-1-High-Speed-Ultra-Strong-Gear-Set-for-Ver-2-3-AEG-Airsoft-Gearbox-/271844910348?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3f4b38250c

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SHS-12-1-Extreme-High-Speed-Airsoft-AEG-Gear-Set-NEW-DESIGN-CNC-CUTTING-/271844908262?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3f4b381ce6

Delay clips can be handy if you are having feeding issues when the mag cannot feed BB's into the gun fast enough.

Sweet thanks. What about spring I heard people say m110 then some say m90 it fires currently at around 310fps on .2s I thought a 110 spring would be for Fps not for speed. Any other gochta I got go watch for?

Spring doesn't matter, just affects velocity (along with air seal) spring guide should be upgraded (to a ball bearing one)

Gear set (13:1) Super Shooter / SHS for example, will be ~$30 from AirsoftPeak / eHobby Asia etc

Hi-torque motor as mentioned before

Re-shim and correcting AOE is essential

Piston is also worth considering replacement but not essential AFAIK. Sometimes people will 'swiss cheese' them (lighten)

Probably missed off some other bits as well

Your correct, the spring rating effects the FPS, an M90=300 fps, M100=330 fps, M110=360 fps. if you want more to increase yor fps consider an M100 spring. Increasing the spring power does reduce the RoF but only by a small amount.

Cheers guys at least I am on the right tracks...

• Supporters

I'm redoing my gearbox new to teching understand the principles. But can't find a basic guise to ROF and bits required. I keep find things that contradict each other. So I'm basicly asking what should be I looking at buying high torque motor, 11.1v lipo, mosfet. But what gearset / do I need a delay chip. What do delay chips do? Any help or links to guides would be great.

Use I used the search feature and unless you know what to look for its useless.

Luke

To increase rof you do not need to do too much but if you want to go faster then you will need to do more than just the odd tweak

decide on what you rof is atm and where aprox you wish to be

personally the range of 20 to 30 I feel is plenty for us UK lot, be careful if you start to go above 30

even above 25 if you have heavy piston and shooting under 300 at present - this is where Pre Engagement may arise

(piston not return fully under speed and gears engage too soon and bang !!!)

plastic piston will lose 1 or 2 teeth as plastic shreds easily - no biggy

full metal tooth piston - oooh that won't be good coz there ain't no weak point and you could smash up quite a bit in there

A stronger spring and lighter piston will return quicker and help to avoid PE

problem is m110 will put you over the normal UK limit of 350 so to bring fps down you reduce the stroke by Short Stroking

16 teeth gets reduced on piston & sector gear to 15 say and you arrive back at say 345ish

However - for first time tweakers aim for milder speedy rof of say 25 max.......

one of the best tutorials so far:

http://www.airsoftsociety.com/forums/f10/legacys-guide-building-high-speed-aeg-87504/

Now remember that USA can use higher fps so they can chuck in m110's even m120's as is but we can't unless we short stroke

or cut coils off spring - bit noobish as cutting coils properly needs a bit of care - easier to fit a new proper full spring for a fiver

Hence don't always asume that just coz they say use this n that your gun will still be ok to use on UK sites

Here is a good comparison of different motors: (soz it ain't in english but you get the idea of motors on test)

Not a massive difference but SHS & Big Dragon perform very well for motors under £30

The motors you seek if you buy one are neodym ones that are way better/stronger/faster than most stock/ferrite ones

rewire the box - coz stock wire on lame tamiya is holding you back - especially tamiya, so replace with deans

Angle Of Engagement must be done (rubber washers/spacers) - unless you want to rip off the big first tooth (pick up tooth off your piston)

check seals - o-ring on piston head and cylinder head is sealing perfectly or as good as possible, even ptfe tape on cylinder head

fit a nozzle with o-ring if you don't have one on there - about a fiver max.

rewire the box with thicker wire 16awg or the thickest you can fit in there - silver wire is good and not as thick as 16awh silicone wire

fit a mosfet - don't have to go nuts a £10 basic non Active Braking will be fine - you can change fet later for a bells n whistle burst programme one if you desire

check box shimming and re-grease fit new say m100 or m105 spring - box is done really

You don't have to buy a high speed gear set straight away - honest but depends how fast you wanna go

Now the box redone and wire/fet/deans fitted - you should see around 15% increase - still on old motor/gears/battery

Next option is you could use higher voltage or burst LiPo but you could stay on 7.4v and still get good results....

Then fit a neodym motor - then you really see your rof increase - your wiring is no longer gonna hold you back

you could expect to increase by up to 50% from old stock motor - yes I kid you not.......

eg: stock setup hits 12 rps, rewire deans fet etc... will go up 15%+ so you get close to 14 on stock 18:1 gears

then replace ferrite motor with say SHS neodym - 50% and you hit 21rps on a decent 7.4v on stock gears

20+ on 7.4v lipo is a big improvement - you want more use 11.1v lipo and the third cell is another 50% increase

or fir mental 12:1 gears and you got 50% over 18:1 stock gears

BUT - 30+ and you can get PE = BANG, so like I said be careful or you will need to do more work to avoid this on stock m100 springs

Motor, fet, rewire, seals/grease looking at about £50 to get 20+ on a 7.4v with scope for plenty more if you so wish

still an improvement over stock and not too fast to hit PE plus a thing to remember.......

The faster your gun fires then very likely it will wear/break quicker - so another reason to not go really mental too

you should not need a delay clip on sector if your mags are decent and feed well

you can hit 20 - up to near 24rps on stock gears & neodym motor on 7.4v

(so you "could/should hit" 30 to 36 on 11.1v but watch out)

ANYWAY - have a read up on that link and watch video perhaps

go easy on your first tweak and take your time will bring quite good results I reckon

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.