Lipo Battery Help

James Flynn

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello all,

I am planning on getting myself an ASG scorpion evo soon (I'd be lying if I said I wasn't excited :D) I only have one real issue before I go ahead and purchase it and that is the battery. I have heard and read about the fact that this gun has been designed to use an 11.1v lipo battery exclusively.

This is an issue for me as I have only ever used 9.6v NiMH batteries :wacko: and I have heard some pretty scary things (myths) about lipo batteries such as them being impossible to charge correctly and if you over charge them for too long they explode or something :blink:. So I am just asking for general advice on lipo batteries as I am completely new to them.

Also if anyone has an evo and can recommend a suitable battery that works and fits in the gun that would also be great.

Thanks in advice. James.

Guest PT247

myths (as good as). Get an 11.1, get a balance charger, enjoy the gun as it was designed. My Evo was awesomeness. LiPos are far easier to look after than a nimh, they don't need to be discharged, they last longer for the size and give you super snappy trigger response!

I used the WE 3 stick battery, think it was 1350mAh, get 2 and change them half way through the day.

Never known anyone's LiPos set on fire / explode etc

Getting a smart charger would make sure they don't overcharge too

You do now :lol: Short inside the gearbox, Some laugh watching me trying to get it out of my stock before I lost it too.

9654851960_4c021c490d_zps70d0455f.jpg

Guest PT247

looking after your gun would stop stuff like that happening though.... also the evo is plastic so even less likely :-)

Its really unlikely you'll have any problems with a lipo, the chargers deal with the special issues of the battery. In the end being able to charge them without discharge and them having no memory and higher power density and much higher current is what makes them significantly better technology.

But you do need to make sure they don't get punctured, keep them dry and check to make sure they don't bulge or puff out. Lithium is very reactive and it can catch fire with air or water. We have been using these types of batteries in laptops and phones everywhere so its not like they are just exploding all the time, it takes an accident to make it happen. Airsoft uses unprotected cells (no plastic casing to protect) so they are a little more vulnerable but then I doubt it would be good if your nimh was punctured either. So in theory they can explode, catch fire and wreck loads of havoc, they also happen to be in everything and it doesn't happen.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.