Dipping or painting?

Glen666

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi

Im thinking about painting one of my rifles so been checking out some DIY videos online which look fairly simple and can look quite good. I then found some videos for dipping kits you can use at home. Was just wondering peoples preferences or if they had tried either methods and what the results were like.

Thanks

Hydrodipping can still go wrong, mind you shouldn't be difficult to get the technique right. There's also the fact it is expensive AFAIK and there's also the time consuming priming / painting a base coat stages you're supposed to do as well. Depends on your budget and what pattern you want. If it's something unique that would be kinda hard to replicate then go for it, otherwise might as well just use good old spray can.

I know CKinnerley used CamoLab to do this:

bcm.jpg

but unfortunately they are no longer in business :(

Painting is a crapload easier and cheaper. Anything fancy and super-detailed would be lost on a sniper rifle, since you need camo that works at long range, so just a couple of colours to break up any obvious silhouette will be more than adequate, espesially since it will likely be covered in bits of hessian and wotnot too.

If you do want something a little different however, which looks good and can be easily sprayed, try getting some OD and some light green or tan. Spray it with one colour and then use a fern leaf held just above the surface as a stencil mask and spray past it. It gives a very nice foliage effect, which is also very visually disruptive.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.