New from west yorks halifax

Shotokansteve

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all extremely new have all the kit but then had a bad leg injury so now have to wait until jan 2015 for my first outing. Have air gunned in the past but love battlefield and call of duty style games so this is the next step for me :) I have made my kit as woodland Camo and my own take on a medics kit carrying a WELL D4817 a CYMA MP5 CM023 and a CYMA P817 (6 kids On a budget lol). Thanks for letting me join.

Welcome aboard. Hope your injury gets better soon and hope you enjoy your first skirmish; even though Jan 2015 sounds like it is a long way off, it's actually only two weeks until next year, so not too long to wait for you.

Yup, as nice as it is to spend big on airsoft, sometimes we have to temper enthusiasm against the cost of living. But don't worry about that too much, you certainly won't be alone at a skirmish site if you do not have bottomless pockets, but the way I look at it is, for the cost of a day or evening's airsoft, I could spend more than that rocking up to the bar and buying a round of drinks for my mates, so it's actually quite an economical hobby once you have the gear sorted.

And on the subject of gear...

The Well D4817 M4 is actually not that bad an airsoft gun considering it is a budget weapon; yes it isn't the hottest gun in the world - probably does about 270 fps - but that is perfectly okay for skirmishing. Whilst it has a fair bit of plastic on the internals, I do know that -unlike a lot of lower end airsoft guns - it does have metal gears and it is compatible with a good many replacement parts if anything goes t*ts up with the thing. Well quite often get slagged off a bit in airsoft circles, but whilst that is often justified, it isn't always, I've got a Well D69 amongst the many airsoft guns I have, and that too is not a bad gun which you can skirmish with in spite of its budget origins, although to be fair, I have tarted mine up a bit, and the Well L96 sniper rifle is another example of one of theirs which is a very good gun.

Your CYMA 023 MP5 is probably not up to woodlands stuff though, it being a pretty low powered gun - I'm guessing it will be making about 200 fps - although it'd probably do okay in CQB, which in fact is where you'd see the real thing most often, so horses for courses. After all, I don't reckon my gas blowback MP5K is up to woodland fighting either. Nevertheless, you should be aware that with airsoft, it requires people to be honest and call their hits, and to do that they need to feel them, or hear them, so don't be too surprised if you don't get people calling hits from your MP5 if they are wearing a plate carrier or a lot of webbing and they are more than fifty feet away, because they may not feel or hear a hit from an LPEG (low powered electric gun). That said, in a CQB site, something doing low fps is actually pretty welcome if you are on the receiving end of the hits, since the last thing anyone wants is a BB getting them in the face from ten feet away when it's just left a gun that is choreographing at 350 feet per second (that's the scenario where I have most often seen people getting teeth shot out). And that's another thing to be aware of, snipers at woodland sites can be shooting at 500 fps and indoor sites can have people shooting 350 at very close range, so wear full face protection, because a dental bill for some shot out teeth can rapidly make an affordable pastime into an expensive one!

As far as your springer pistol goes, the only disadvantage to a springer pistol really, is the rate of fire, since you have to cock it manually. Beyond that, a springer pistol is as up to the job as any other pistol and frankly, in many cases it's more reliable, because at this time of year in cold temperatures, the vast majority of fancy gas blowback pistols will be lucky to get a full mag off and as nice as electric ones are, they are undeniably more prone to jams than any springer ever would be with their more complicated mechanisms than the relatively simple internals of a springer (in fact, I had an electric blowback pistol do exactly that once at the worst possible moment (when someone was literally around a corner from me) and had to resort to making a knife kill because I was so close to the other guy, if I'd been using a springer pistol, I at least know it would have fired! I've taken springer pistols to skirmishes loads of times - and still do most of the time, since they are a reliable back up - and I've had kills with springer loads of times too. I'm not saying you don't want a semi auto pistol at all, because you're definitely at a disadvantage firing slowly and manually cocking a springer pistol at the kind of ranges where a pistol is useful, but you absolutely can make kills with one if you get the drop on someone.

Anyway, just keep in mind that it's not too long until all those airsoft websites will be having sales in January, so even if you are on a budget, you can afford to go for it then. In the meantime, you'll get on okay with what you've got and will be able to see the kind of stuff everyone else thinks is best for the skirmish site you want to frequent.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.