Enhance your performance?!...

cavninja

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So I'm getting to grips with the vagaries and variables of gas and Charles' Law, looking after my mags, keeping them at the optimum temp and managing how and when I fill them, so here's my next question?

What else can be done to improve performance of your GBB? Silicon lube to the moving parts? Upgrade/improve/replace the return/recoil springs? springs?

For example, on my WE 416 the action feels quite squashy and not very crisp, would any of the above help?

On my TM G17 (with a Guarder metal slide) the action is very crisp and shoots beautifully!

On my TM P226 it again feels a little lose and squashy. (I am considering upgrading the Sig, but with the price of metal frames, slides and outer barrels, I'm tempted to just go buy a WE P226!)

I haven't had the opportunity to give my WE L85A2 a good run for her money yet, but the first couple of mags seem ok.

The 416 and G17 were bought new, the other two second hand.

I just wondered if any of you gas aficionados out there had any top tips, ideas or suggestions on what can be done? Maybe some place to source parts?

• Supporters

If they're getting a little bit 'sloppy' I'd strip everything down, de-grease it and check for obvious wear. If nothing is apparent, re-grease (I use abbey SM50 graphite lube, silicone oil is God for looking after o-rings, not much cop as a lubricant) and try again.

If it's still a bit 'meh' chances are your hammer spring is at fault.

Hmmmm... cheers JC, obviously lube is important, and I'd guess with GBBs its grease rather than oil, do you favour graphite grease over some silicon type grease? is there a difference? do you have any links to those you'd recommend?

Based on my experience of real firearms, is why I was thinking that it may be the recoil/return spring that isn't "snappy" enough, I can see why in a second hand weapon, but in a new one? I don't think gas is a factor? or the temp? Am i wrong?

I know of milspecsolutions.co.uk for GBB spares, but can you recommend anywhere else for new or upgraded springs?

• Supporters

milspec can probably sort you out for springs.

I prefer graphite grease because it's slippier, silicone lube tends to clump up and attract dirt even in small quantities. Gas definitely isn't a factor in the return speed of your slide, the spring on the recoil rod is the one that deals with that, often called the recoil spring. If you want to improve that part there's plenty of aftermarket ones available from asia rated by percentage (100% being the same as stock, 150% being 50% stiffer etc), the stiffer the spring the faster the slide will return to battery but the more gas you'll have to use to cycle it.

Cheers JC, i'll do some digging round

Following JC's advice and some research I've ordered some new "enhanced" springs for the Sig and the 416 and a couple of different types of grease from ehobbyasia , to see how I get on.

I've also decided to persevere with my TM Sig and ordered a Guarder metal upgrade kit, frame, barrel and slide to see if I can get some of the famed TM performance and reliability out of it!

Although, considering I could have bought a full metal WE 226 for less then the upgrade kit, I am wincing as I type! I hope my faith (stubbornness? stupidity?) will be rewarded?

At least it will feel the part, it will have all the pukka trades and its a project i intend to do myself (Thank you YouTube!!) so it will be built (well assembled!) with love by my own fair hands!

I hope it will allow me to hit that sweet spot of a satisfying "CLACK" as the slide racks and a hail of BBs impact on some poor unfortunate sod!

(It's even more satisfying when they're luminescence has been lit up by the suppressor/tracer unit as I've just painted them with my laser and they shriek even before the impact!! Hehehehehe.... I digress!)

Better get some work done!

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.