Confused.....

T.W.A.T
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Ok i know there is many posts like this and im sorry if this annoys you.

But i have searched for a long time for an answer to my question about buying RIFs.

I am under 18, can my parents buy me a rif (without UKARA). from a private seller (with UKARA)?

Regards,

Joel.

Not even if its not a retailer?

Really..

But i have been told by some oficials at my local site that UKARA is the retailers defence aka. The sellers defence.

Meaning a private sale like form a friend with the defence is ok?

• Supporters

UKARA was set up by retailers as a means to protect them in court etc should they ever need it.

You need a defence regardless of who you buy from. Without a defence be it UKARA or otherwise you cant buy an RiF.

Yes, they are correct, a UKARA is only enforced by retailers to protect them self under the law by requesting that you are registered as a active airsoft skirmisher.

any private sellers sell RIF at their own discretion but will usually ask for UKARA number to cover them selfs under the law regarding RIF.

Tip with these forums is to avoid askings ways to bypass the rules as they wont tell you.

(if im wrong about what i wrote, some one be sure to correct me)

What if the sellers is ok to sell without defence if you have/havent asked?

Yes, they are correct, a UKARA is only enforced by retailers to protect them self under the law by requesting that you are registered as a active airsoft skirmisher.

any private sellers sell RIF at their own discretion but will usually ask for UKARA number to cover them selfs under the law regarding RIF.

Tip with these forums is to avoid askings ways to bypass the rules as they wont tell you.

(if im wrong about what i wrote, some one be sure to correct me)

Ok thats what i thought as i asked if the private seller needed defence they replied 'no'

Does that mean im not in the wrong?

See im still not sure but to be fair the law is very badly written and clarified :/

It is a very badly written law, no one will dispute that.

In all essance of the law. To buy a RIF, you need to meet two requirments. 1) be 18 or older, 2)have a valid defence (Airsoft is a defence), the only way that retailers can see if you are activily an airsofter is with UKARA. but techinically speaking, if you are buying privatly and can prove in some other means that you intend to airsoft with the RIF, then legally You are in the clear.

(lots of gray areas on the law, as we said, very badly written).

Ah great! Thankyou so, so, so much! Definitely a 5 star rating coming your way!

This is what this forum is about, friendly advice which is recognised!

Well mine do. But this is like an open question involving others. But that doesnt really matter if they play or not?

So long as they can prove that the rif is being used for airsofting, form a private seller. legally clear. From a retailer, they will ask for UKARA from the person buying.

Can we get this straight people, it is the SELLER that requires a defence against prosecution, NOT the buyer!

If the seller is stupid enough to sell you (or your parents) the RIF then they have committed an offence and are liable to be prosecuted. Not a situation I'd ever seek to put someone in.

This particular bit of the law is perfectly clear. It might be unclear as to what actually constitutes a defence, and it might be unclear about many other things, but under section 36 of the VCRA it is an offence to sell a RIF, full stop. It then goes on to say that it is a defence against prosecution to prove the sale of the gun is for certain prescribed uses.

A buyer cannot commit an offence (unless they are under 18, then it is an offence to buy or attempt to buy) in the sale of a RIF.

There is no confusion, no ambiguity. The offence applies whether the item is sold via a business or privately.

Persuade your mum or dad to come along to a few airsoft days with you, then they will have a defence and can buy any RIF they want, and give it to you. They still cannot sell it to you (which includes payment of ANY kind, services, "mowing the lawn" "washing cars" though I guess, if it were contingent on, for example, you getting good grades at school or something similar then it would be ok.

Archived