Panther's Guide To: Basic SOP's

Panther

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

As a complete newbie. And with no gun or military experience. This was a realy good and informative read. Remjnded me of the old conflict desert storm games.

Thank you for the kind words. This guide is not 100% accurate in military terms but it is good for people not wanting to jump straight into a serious milsim team. Its just fun with a bit of realism thrown in.

Regards,

Andy

For the order of march (OOM) for the fire team (FT), i'd suggest having the support gunner at the front, therefore when contacted to the front he can lay down loads of cover fire whilst the others from a baseline to attack/bug out. If you have him 3rd man, he can't do this, meaning the guy with the most firepower in your FT is useless, unless the FT forms a baseline, but this can take time.

Dont have the marksman as 2IC either, he has enough to concentrate on shooting people than ordering people around, therefore:

Gunner (Pointman)

FT IC (normal assault rifle)

Marksman (DMR/sniper)

FT 2IC (normal assault rifle)

IC does the gucci ordering people around and war-y stuff, 2IC does all the admin and makes sure no one gets lost (hence at the back)

Also, contact drills can be broken down to simply RTR:

Return fire

Take cover

Return effective fire (after identifying the enemy posn)

(oops got beaten to it there, all well)

Hope this helps, and no offence but perhaps mention you don't have much experience in the first place. :)

For the order of march (OOM) for the fire team (FT), i'd suggest having the support gunner at the front, therefore when contacted to the front he can lay down loads of cover fire whilst the others from a baseline to attack/bug out. If you have him 3rd man, he can't do this, meaning the guy with the most firepower in your FT is useless, unless the FT forms a baseline, but this can take time.

Dont have the marksman as 2IC either, he has enough to concentrate on shooting people than ordering people around, therefore:

Gunner (Pointman)

Marksman (DMR/sniper)

IC does the gucci ordering people around and war-y stuff, 2IC does all the admin and makes sure no one gets lost (hence at the back)

Return fire

Take cover

Hope this helps, and no offence but perhaps mention you don't have much experience in the first place. :)

Didn't think it was necessary to. If people ask I'll tell them the truth. I see to many people claiming to be BRF/SAS/E Sqn whatever on the internet. (Not on here for the record).

I'm doing PT to get to Para standard atm, and I am constantly learning more.

You are an officer in training, so I can't really argue with what you suggested. No need to anyway, your right in every sense.

Just one thing, is it SOP for your unit/corps to have Support at the front, I saw that position more as a scout position, to clear paths.

Ahh haha yeah thats true, standard internet really :L

Good stuff, and yes in our SOPs we usually have our gunner at the front, plus for me personally it makes sense, but in reality it depends what you've got weapon wise, what you think works, what you've been told to do be your superiors (especially in some milsims) for example a recce patrol I'd have a scout up front, but for a fighting patrol have a gunner up front. Apologies i should have said generally that's one way in which you can structure it. Again, its what works for you. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Gunner (Pointman)

Marksman (DMR/sniper)

Return fire

Take cover

NO! never have a gunner as point man. its bad practice

the gunner should always be the second man as he is "coverman"

the pointman in the british army is the guy that uses a valon/horn, he looks for ground sign ( i know theyres no IEDS in airsoft so instead the point man should be scanning for better routes from A to B or looking for likley enemy firing positions)

3rd man should be the IC with a sharpshooter (best shot) behind him as his cover man.

then throw in any spare riflemen behind them, and finish with a gunner

• 1 year later...
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.