Need a radio for the team

Carni
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi!

So I joined a team recently and most of them have radios.

I decided I want one myself.

I really dont wanna go about £80-£100 on this.

I wear a toxic gas mask, purely for the looks and it will be uncomfortable with a headset so I would need a throat mic.

I dont really know anything about radios. I heard a motorola gp68 is good.

Would you be able to recommend me a radio to use with my teammates? Something simple, all I need to do is talk and

hear them I dont want any other functions the radio might have.

Also can you recommend a very good top quality throat mic, I heard if you buy a crappy one you can barely make out what the person is saying so I dont mind spending some money on that.

On top of that will I need to buy something else? Or do I just need to buy a throat mic and connect it to a radio?

Will I need a push to talk button together with a throat mic as well?

Please tell me your radio set up and I might be able to make something out :)

Cheers lads.

I have a pair of Motorola TKLR T6

Bout £45 for the pair with a charger.

Can get a throat mic, or use headsets that bikers use. Usually a earpiece or padded velro speaker with a small microphone that will fit inside the mask.

I just use a cheap acoustic microphone earpiece thing.. the same style undercover agents use :P

• Supporters

I've just been looking into this, mate. You can get a pair of Motorola TLKR T4's for £26 inc. P&P from Amazon and they take the same accessories as any other TLKR T series or XTR 446 or Talkabout series. It's common enough and there are plenty of different types of headsets and ear plug/mic/ptt set ups.

You can even use a xbox 360 headset if you so want :P

Another one for T6 here. I play CQB and no probs with comms through the walls from one side of the site to the other which will be about 2 football fields with loadsa metal etc in the way.

The battery life is very good too!

Use mine in woodlands as well and get good range out of it.

Even picked someone up in the middle of coventry... dunno who though :P

I regularly get taxi calls over my radio.

However picking up my transmission of "delta, delta - contact on the bridge - fall back!" got the reply of "errrrr...what?

• Supporters

I have the T6s as well, though I'd have to say that those "Agent Smith" style ear pieces are a bit naff, they make me deaf in one ear and I can never properly make out what the other person is saying. I tend to just use them without a headset and hope for the best that no one's hiding nearby when I get an incoming call.

It's happened a few times...

*Hiding in a bush*

"HEY ED WHERE ARE YOU?!"

*Gets shot to buggery despite my concealed position*

"Erm, I'm just on my way to the safe zone. Nob."

• Supporters

I'm planning on getting one of these for either a new T4 or whatever I can pick up on eBay that'll work with either this version or the 2 pin Motorola type.

I'm going to bite the bullet and buy the headset and PTT new because I want to have it sorted well in advance of NAE12 so I can get a skirmish in beforehand to get used to it, but I also plan on having it all apart in the medium term so I can figure out what is wired to the tip, each ring, and the sleeve of the fat "military" plug that the headset is fitted with. "Military" my anus, mind you. British military headsets use connectors with multiple sockets let into the flat head of the 'male' connector and the 'female' has corresponding pins standing inside the socket. Once I've got it sussed, I'll be able to buy surplus real Bowman headsets and wire them directly to a PTT and connector for any type of radio and let people have them quite cheap... well, in comparison to the only other person I've seen doing the same - he charges so much I just didn't even register the price enough to remember it, you know? Just "Eh? WTF? No chance!" *close tab/hit back button* :lol:

Its not too bad. A proper headset would work better but i needed something to work well with my black mesa kit :P

• Supporters
Its not too bad. A proper headset would work better but i needed something to work well with my black mesa kit :P

Oh I get that, Tariq. If I'd been stuck for a matching black headset, I'm the sort of bloke who would have coloured an OD one in with permanent marker!

In fact I may yet end up doing exactly that!

• Supporters

Tariq i hope that wasnt the city centre radios you picked up as they for some stupid reason are not on a encrypted system

and so as security officers we constantly have to deal with interference from outside radios etc

No, sounded like a baby monitor lol.

Archived