Mam is buying me gun

wildilwh09
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello I have a little situation with a gun i'm trying to buy

My mam is buying this £85 gun and I only use it with adult supervision at NTAC.

My dad, because he is strict claims full rights and ownership of the gun and the right to take it off me at his will.

Is this, in any way illegal.

Thank you

Lee,

Please will someone have a word with CraigW-H because he approached me via PM asking about a gun and if i wanted to buy. He realized that I was under age at time of approach and we discussed at length about buying for 4 days. He built up my hopes, I told all my friends and now he has pulled out on the sale because he is not confident.

He is a really nice person to chat with and it's not that i'm mad at him it's just I feel very let down.

Thank you.

he pulled out because he would be the one breaking the law if he sold to you. unfortunatly people pulling out of deals last min is just part of buying and selling happens all the time i can see where your coming from though.

• AF-UK Founding Member
Hello I have a little situation with a gun i'm trying to buy

What are you saying? Here you're saying you are buying it yourself. You can see the reason for his concern.

I've PM'd Craig.

My dad, because he is strict claims full rights and ownership of the gun and the right to take it off me at his will.

speaking as a dad i would imagine hes saying that because he is worried you could get into trouble with the new gun

we have various airsoft/replica/blank fire/de ac guns in the house here and i kept them secure as i was worried my son would decide to take one out to show his mates and end up with the police on top of him

hes now looking for his first airsoft gun but if i thought for one second he was taking it to his mates house or any where other than where its bought for then id take it off him and lock it up,

my sons 18 but its my house my rules and my duty as a dad to care about him no matter what age he is

• 3 months later...

Back to the OP.

Unless your mother can provide the seller with a defence against conviction under the VCRA then it is illegal for her to buy an RIF. If she CAN provide a defence, then it is perfectly legal for her to GIVE it to you AS A GIFT. NO money can change hands IN ANY WAY in respect of the gun. You can't pay your mum back for it, it has to be a gift. It is entirely illegal to SELL any kind of immitation firearm to a minor.

Now back to what I think you were actually asking.

Is it illegal for your dad to assert ownership of the gun, and to state that he will remove it if you abuse it, no, there is nothing illegal about that. You might think he's being strict, but look at it from his point of view. If you decide to wander off with a realistic looking firearm tucked down the back of your trousers, the chances are you will end up in a lot of trouble. Possibly facing down a squad of heavily armed coppers with very real, very loaded, very deadly MP5's. One misunderstanding could end up with you meeting large chunks of lead with a very high closing velocity.

So, ask me again if there is anything illegal about his attitude.

His attitude reflects a responsible, adult attitude to allowing a young person access to guns. He'd rather not have to identify you on the coroners slab because you've done something silly!

Sound melodramatic? Maybe, but it's happened before and it will happen again. At least he'll allow you to have the weapon in the first place, most parents are so gun-phobic that they won't even buy plastic water pistols for their kids, in case they somehow turn them in to crazed killers.

• Supporters

i cant see the problem tbh

with your dad holding on to it for you

your only gonna use when you air soft anyway are't you?

Scooby snacks right last thing you want is so19/co19 banging your doors in at 6 in the mornin because the next door neighbor saw you with a gun in the back garden

• 1 month later...
i cant see the problem tbh

with your dad holding on to it for you

your only gonna use when you air soft anyway are't you?

Scooby snacks right last thing you want is so19/co19 banging your doors in at 6 in the mornin because the next door neighbor saw you with a gun in the back garden

Rayzor, that's very unlikely to happen (though given events of today maybe a little more so :( )

If you are open with your neighbours, let them know you have toy guns that you use to play airsoft (definitely use the words "toy" and "play" as it is very reassuring) and let them see them, and what they can (and more importantly can't) do then you won't have a problem. I have all sorts of firearms, ranging from airsoft right through to high velocity hunting rifles capable of killing a deer at 500 plus yards. I often take them in to the garden, when cleaning or working on them, as the light is usually better. I've never had any problem with neighbours reporting me to the police!

Archived