Sony Ericson Xperia X10

Liam Porter
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

I'm lazy, it's my step-dad's phone and I just C&P'd this from my Y!Answers.

I'm trying to connect the phone above (not the small or mini versions) to my home network (BT Hub 3), with security type set as WPA/WPA2. It cannot connect.

When I try to connect, it asks for the security key, which I type in correctly. It will then attempt to connect, and without warning will connect to an open network (BT Open Zone or BTFON), with my home network set as a 'saved network'. If I tell it to 'forget' the BT Open Zone or BTFON networks and then connect to my home network, it does exactly the same thing again.

I've tried restarting the router, restarting the phone, resetting the phone, everything I can think of.

I set the security type to WEP in the router settings, which allowed the phone to connect, but caused problems with the Xbox (newest version) only being able to connect for a few minutes before disconnecting, which then required a router and Xbox restart, and any HP laptops (we have 3) in the house refused to connect to the Internet.

So keeping the settings as WEP is not a viable option.

I've read that Sony Ericsson didn't put settings for WPA/WPA2 in the phone, meaning it cannot connect.

But people must have come up with an Android App, or even a phone crack/hack (like Jail Breaking an iPod) that allows it to connect to WPA/WPA2. I've found 'Rooting' for the Xperia X10 Mini which I think allows it to connect, but it looks overly complicated and may not even work on the larger X10 - so I'm not trying it unless people can confirm it works and link me to detailed instructions on how to do it.

If you have any ideas that may/do work, please post them, I'd be very grateful.

I'm not after links to forums or Sony Support saying "help should be somewhere here" - I can do basic Googling and forum searching myself - I want a definitive answer.

Thanks a lot for any help!

• Supporters

Unfortunately it's not, we have about 5 of each in my area, and about 8 BT Home Hubs.

• AF-UK Founding Member

No idea I'm afraid then, I think I'd try and find a WPA network near no others to test if it could actually connect or not. I hate wireless.

Best bet is hours of Googl'ing.

I just dug up:

Try TKIP on your router settings.

Try not using wireless N.

Try disabling any firewall crap on your router, turn on upnp and anything which will open you up.

Or just have no security and filter what is allowed in by MAC address.

• Supporters

That'd take ages to filter our network by MAC address. We have two PCs, three Xboxs, 7 notebooks, 4 iPods/iPad, 5 phones, printer, PS3.

Then we have 10+ iPods/Phones etc that are other peoples' (family, friends etc.), otherwise I would have done it instead.

But I'll try the three there.

EDIT: can't find TKIP, I'll search through all the thousands of options in BT's Hub Manager, and the other two make no difference.

Archived