What is this magazine?

Not exactly clued go with the modern tactical stuff, building a mk18 and saw this style of magazine but - what is it? Is there an AEG mid cap version of it?

Cheers guys 👀

IMG_6367.jpeg

I honestly don't know so can't help but the first thing I think of when I see this is... aren't the dots near the base for marking mag numbers?

24 minutes ago, ButcherBill said:

I honestly don't know so can't help but the first thing I think of when I see this is... aren't the dots near the base for marking mag numbers?

My PTS G36 magazines have them too, so when I searched PTS mags through patrolbase I was expecting them to pop up but nothing. Maybe they’re an old version as I did find some similar. 

Are the PTS M4 mags as good as the G36 ones? 

22 minutes ago, JinxDuh said:

My PTS G36 magazines have them too, so when I searched PTS mags through patrolbase I was expecting them to pop up but nothing. Maybe they’re an old version as I did find some similar. 

Are the PTS M4 mags as good as the G36 ones? 

So it’s a “PMAG Gen 3”, but can’t find any airsoft replicas in stock over here 

• Supporters

Looks like the Beta Project EXP mag to me, 140 rnd AEG versions are available but seem to be a bit hard to find in the UK.

I have some, they're....OK.

30 minutes ago, Lozart said:

Beta Project EXP mag

Seem to also be a copy of the PMAG, so at least there's options out there! I found some cymas (Overseas) that hold 220 rounds 😳

• Supporters
24 minutes ago, JinxDuh said:

Seem to also be a copy of the PMAG, 

It's exactly that. IIRC Beta Project made the old PTS PMags way WAAAAY back.

As others have mentioned, it's a copy of a magpul pmag. 

I'm not nerdy enough to know which generation. 

However I am nerdy enough to know that pts used to have a license from magpul and their pmags were the best available. There were aeg and tm recoil versions available. Tm recoil versions generally go for £30-50 a mag depending on condition. 

Pts now do a non branded, slightly different version of the emag (similar to a pmag but with a window), they do them for aegs and recoils, loom for epm mags. They're pretty similar. 

There are generally gbbrs version available as well, depending on the platform. 

The beta project pmags used to be sh*t in comparison, the models they sell of it now might be much better. 

Edited by Emergencychimps

• Supporters

Yep 'GEN M3' i.e. Gen 3.

PTS did Gen 1 and 2 PMAGs and the EMAG when they had the license from Magpul, but lost said license before the M3 was released, hence the fictional EPM line.  There's Gen 3 mag replicas for AEGs out there as you've seen from various airsoft brands under all sorts of funky airsoft names, just gotta click the AEG mag section of a few stores and squint at all the pics.

Beta Project offerings were definitely a budget line alongside the proper PTS mags back in the day, I reckon they might've been STAR/ARES OEM.  When PTS had the license their Magpul mags were in £15+/ea (or whatever the early 10s price equivalent would be to an EPM now taking in to account COVIDflation) but were fantastic in both plastic construction and feeding/function, whereas it was something like £30-40 for a pack of 6 Beta mags that look 'the same' but they were a cheaper plastic and were all over the place in terms of whether they actually worked or not.

I got an 40 rnd style Gen M3 purely for pics, think it's ARES.. maybe CYMA.  It is, mediocre, but the plastic is ok at least and it'll probably feed a few rounds.

IMG_3118.thumb.JPG.98ddc530fc7466adb2768ddb2efefc51.JPG