Headset Mounts That Love To Pop Out Of The Rail - Recommendations For Something That Actually Works

El Zomba

Hi there.  Long-time lurker, first-time poster.

I'm getting into comms, and recently bought a pair of headset mounts for my helmet (FMA FAST helmet, FMA helmet mounts, Earmor M32 Plus headset).  Problem is, the mounts will pop out of the rail if I try to move the headset out the way (or even dare to wear it), owing to one or more of the following:

1. The shape of the edge on the mounts is too shallow, and is therefore dogshit.
  2. The dovetail on the ARC rail is too shallow, and is therefore dogshit.

Attached picture is to show how loose the mounts are in the rail.  That's from applying a minimal amount of pressure to the mount.

Has anyone else encountered the same issue?  If so, how did you fix it?  I'm currently considering the following options:

1. Fork out for real rails and mounts (Costs more than the rest of the kit combined and is Geardo-daft, but if there's a decent lower-cost solution I'm interested).
  2. Get different knock-off mounts/rails.
  3. Dab of Glue to hold the mounts in place.

For (2), Can anyone recommend mounts and/or rails that do the job for them?  They'll have to be ARC style mounts.  AMP style ones won't fit the M32 Plus.  Appreciate that (3) may come back to bite me if when something else breaks, but if it works, it works.  Cheers in advance.

Crappy_Mounts.jpg

Honestly, get the real things. I've had 3 of the repro ones, all have sucked massively. Finally caved and got real steel, haven't looked back since. They actually fit correctly too, lots of the repros sit too tight and aren't very comfortable. You mention real is more than the kit but they're £40? https://3mpeltor.earshotcommunications.co.uk/product/3m-peltor-helmet-adapter-for-mounting-ear-muffs-p3adg-f-arc-rail/

Yeah, might just do that.  Nice one.  The cost bit was more around the rails than the mounts (£144 for gen Ops-Core if the FMA rails are shitty too), but I guess if I wanted to avoid a money pit I picked the wrong hobby. 😄

7 minutes ago, El Zomba said:

Yeah, might just do that.  Nice one.  The cost bit was more around the rails than the mounts (£144 for gen Ops-Core if the FMA rails are shitty too), but I guess if I wanted to avoid a money pit I picked the wrong hobby. 😄

Haha unfortunately so. My z-tac replicas lasted the longest, almost a year. The ones I linked above have already surpassed them and have 0 signs of wearing out any time soon!

• Supporters

I've got two sets of the FMA unity knock offs and they fit my FMA helmets just fine. Are we sure it's not user error?

21 hours ago, Jez_Armstrong said:

just bang a big wood screw through it                                     

Pointy bits inward, yeah? 👍

19 hours ago, Lozart said:

I've got two sets of the FMA unity knock offs and they fit my FMA helmets just fine. Are we sure it's not user error?

It's not impossible, but given that I've tried fitting them every which way with the same result, I'm going to say it's improbable.  Either I've been blessed with a Friday afternoon batch, or you're the lucky one with the decent QC.  Either way, luck of the draw.

4 minutes ago, El Zomba said:

Pointy bits inward, yeah? 👍

It's not impossible, but given that I've tried fitting them every which way with the same result, I'm going to say it's improbable.  Either I've been blessed with a Friday afternoon batch, or you're the lucky one with the decent QC.  Either way, luck of the draw.

im being serious i had the same issue before i got different arc rails, wood screws cut down with no point worked fine and didnt stab me in the head