Tips for spraying plastics/polymer

LazzurusMan

So, I'll start this by saying I'm no newcomer to spraying and airbrushing (airsoft isn't my only expensive hobby), but I do just want to pick a few brains for some quick advice before I break out the rattle can.

I want to spray up my pistol grip cause the magpul moe k2 is out of stock in black almost everywhere and my rifle would look so much better with a black pistol grip.

I won't be sanding it as it has a nice texture to it that I don't want to ruin, so the paint might not adhere great. Is it worth giving it a matt coat, or will it still wear off regardless? Same with undercoating it first, is it really worth it if the paint won't last long regardless?

• Supporters

Get an adhesion promoter or a plastic specific paint (for car bumpers for example).

I used to swear by UPol plastic primer when I was airbrushing.

2 minutes ago, Lozart said:

Get an adhesion promoter or a plastic specific paint (for car bumpers for example).

I used to swear by UPol plastic primer when I was airbrushing.

I've got some grey plastic primer from halfords, worked fine on motorcycle fairings and has never let me down on models either. Also got white, so plenty of options. 

Is it worth apply a matt coat afterwards to try and preserve the paint job?

• Supporters
18 minutes ago, LazzurusMan said:

I've got some grey plastic primer from halfords, worked fine on motorcycle fairings and has never let me down on models either. Also got white, so plenty of options. 

Is it worth apply a matt coat afterwards to try and preserve the paint job?

Use the grey, white will make your black look weird.

If you can get a matt black topcoat that would be easier. Matt clearcoats are a pain in the arse. Bear in mind that it WILL chip in use, regardless of what you try and protect it with.

I know it will chip, this is just a stop gap until the moe k2+ comes back in stock in black where I can get it without paying international shipping and tax.

• Supporters
25 minutes ago, LazzurusMan said:

I know it will chip, this is just a stop gap until the moe k2+ comes back in stock in black where I can get it without paying international shipping and tax.

What gun is this for? GBB or AEG?

22 minutes ago, Lozart said:

What gun is this for? GBB or AEG?

Gbb. I've sprayed up the pistol grip, didn't use primer as it just peeled off, the black went on lovely, just waiting for the matt coat to dry then I'll be slapping it back on the noveske. It's only to make it look how I want for a game this Sunday.

Perhaps not for you and probably depends on the actual colour you're after but you can dye plastic. Hand grips are somewhere even good adhesion wont stop the wear, but  sounds like that doesnt matter in your case

I apologise for the terrible photo but anything I took with the rear camera was too big a file to upload.

Considering I didn't use an undercoat (the grey just peeled straight off) and it was cheap matt black wheel paint from poundland, this hasn't turned out too badly. 

20240405_171348.jpg