Painting my pistol

ParHunter

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi 

I am planning on spray painting my AAP-01 pistol once it is warn enough (> 12 degrees) and dry enough (so by the looks of it that will be late May ;-( 

Is there a danger of paint getting into the gun? Do I need to cover the small gap between upper and lower?
What would you tape off? 

• Iron sights
  • safety switch
  • ’Ejection port’

Does anyone know of some cheap options for stencils? I bought a reusable one from Amazon but I am not too convinced of it. I have seen the Freedom Stencils but they are very expensive for what is basically just some stickers.

If it were me, I'd take the barrel assembly off, remove the sights, the rear sight holds the bolt in.

Remove the bolt and then separate the barrel end from the rear part.

Mask off the insides.

The lower part I'd mask off the trigger and remove the mag release. Remove the safety button.

Mask off the internal bits at the top.

Edited by Sewdhull

AAP's are really easy to disassemble, especially the upper. You mention the iron sights and ejection port being areas of concern. If you remove the upper and then take the allen screws out of the rear iron sight, the bolt will come out. Four more allen screws and you've separated the upper from the barrel and removed the hop unit and inner barrel entirely.

When it comes to the lower, getting the trigger and bolt release spring in place can be a bit fiddly if you've never done it before, but that's what I'd do.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.