Krytac Trident family UK spec

ParHunter

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi

A couple of months ago i got my first AEG, a Krytac Trident MKII SPR-M and I am quite pleased with it.

This time when I got chronoed I’ve asked what the Joule output was of my gun was (I can’t read the output when I got my contact lenses in). It was quite low at 0.85J (255 fps with 0.28 bbs). The guy who tested it said that his CRB has a higher output.

On the field another guy checked what gun I had, he had the PDW version of the Trident and his Joule rating was even higher (we did chrono it on the field). 

That got me thinking whether there is anything wrong with my gun (it shoots nicely though!)

When I got home I checked at what it was rated at PatrolBase and it roughly matched. If you go from PDW -> CRB -> SPR your Joule output dropped:

UK (barrel length, Joule output)

PDW

1.01 J / w.20

CRB

0.92 J / w.20

SPR

0.85 J / w.20

However when you check the Krytac US rating apart from it being higher (as they don’t have the lower 1.14J limit) the SPR actually has the higher output:

US

PDW

1.14 J / w.20

CRB

1.49 J / w.20

SPR

1.56 J / w.20

I assume all internal components between the 3 models are the same apart from Barrel length and probably spring. 

My assumption is that for the US marked the SPR has a stronger spring compared to the CRB or PDW while in the UK they just put the same M100 (or is it a M90?) spring in for all 3 models.

The Krytac manual actually states a power output of 1.24J for the UK version which would be above the legal limit.

So my questions are:

a) Why does the power drop between the PDW, CRB and SPR if all internals are the same apart from the barrel length.

b) What improvement could I expect if I could get the output to 1 - 1.1J?

c) What would I have to do to increase the power? Would it be a spring upgrade or would a change to a e.g. 6.03 barrel with a Maple leaf hop rubber help to increase the power.

Thanks for your feedback

• Supporters

You've pretty much answered your own questions but:

a) because the barrel length is different 

b) more fps, but not necessarily better range or accuracy 

c) stronger spring will get the power up, as will a tighter barrel (but not by as much). Better hop rubber should improve range/accuracy but ymmv.

Looks like the PDW has a stronger spring in the UK (from Krytac website)

United Kingdom (UK)

• TRIDENT (Except PDW), Barrett REC7, War Sport LVOA Series
    • Spring: M100
    • Motor: KRYTAC 20K
  • TRIDENT (PDW, PDW-M)
    • Spring: M120
    • Motor: KRYTAC 30K

Why would a higher fps not give a longer range? It might not be a longer effective range (so might get more offline) but the distance should increase. Where else would the extra power go?

Other SPR owners, have you upgraded your spring, added better hop rubber and did it make a noticeable difference?

Shorter barreled models often have stronger springs because of the shorter barrel. They need a stronger spring to maintain joule output.

For example, if you fit a long barrel to a G&G ARP9 (American version) you can bump your joules to 1.7J+ from 1.15Jish, since they have a strong spring to avoid PME and boost power.

Most likely, the FPS differences between model are caused by Krytac just using the springs available to them and not caring about the difference.

For example, my stock Krytac Trident SPR (American) shot about 1.6J OOTB and didn’t lose any of that power, which is above most field limits for “assault rifle” power.

• Supporters
22 hours ago, ParHunter said:

Why would a higher fps not give a longer range? It might not be a longer effective range (so might get more offline) but the distance should increase. Where else would the extra power go?

Yes, more FPS should give you more range, but ultimately it's the quality of the barrel and hop unit/rubber combination that gives you the range and accuracy. There's no point having a gun that can reach 80m but can't reliably hit anything beyond 30m.

Speed out of the barrel drops of very quickly, and gravity only gives you a fixed amount of time before the BB hits the ground.

It's your hop that gives you the range by countering gravity with backspin.

Drag on the BB is not linear with speed, if you double the speed, drag quadruples.

Extend the time the spin lasts, with with more spin to start or a heavier BB to retain that spin longer and you will get more range.

This why a heavier BB will get you more range, more time spinning and a reduced speed loss as the heavier BB needs more drag to slow it compared to a lighter BB.

Also it's worth noting the Magnus effect, the result of the backspin, doesn't start until it goes forward through the air (leaves the barrel) and reduces according to the ratio of forward speed and spin until it goes negative, pushing the BB into the ground. I can't recall the ratio, it's been a while since I looked at the sums.

Edited by Sewdhull
More thoughts

So I am still not sure whether it is worth chasing the higher Joule output (getting closer to 1.14J).

I would have to upgrade the spring to probably a M110 (a M120 would probably make the gun too hot) but would the 20k motor cope with that spring? The US model uses a 30k motor for the stronger springs.

On top of that I would need to get a new barrel and a new hop rubber. 

I would love to hear from other Krytac Trident (SPR) users who have upgraded their gun and whether it made a difference to their game.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.