DE M908a hop unit replacement

Stillers80

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all.

I’d noticed my hop up wasn’t adjusting so opened it up properly to do some maintenance and thought I’d change the hop rubber at the same time. Anyway, the all plastic unit is damaged, the nub dropped out too, so that explains why it wasn’t adjusting.

My question is, what would you recommend I change it for? I’d like to step away from the all plastic unit for reliability purposes. I’d looked on AK24M but his ZCI Aluminium hop is out of stock, if it’s even an option?

Cheers

Just now, Stillers80 said:

I’d like to step away from the all plastic unit for reliability purposes.

Don't equate metal to reliability. Personally I would be going for The ZCI plastic unit  as it is a really popular and cost effective choice.

4 hours ago, Speedbird_666 said:

Don't equate metal to reliability. Personally I would be going for The ZCI plastic unit  as it is a really popular and cost effective choice.

Thanks for your reply.

This particular hop unit is only about 8 hours old, so I’m hesitant to go plastic again (though for around £5 I suppose it’s not a bank breaker). Is it possible to change the nub in a plastic unit?

4 minutes ago, Stillers80 said:

Is it possible to change the nub in a plastic unit?

In almost all hop units, metal bodied or otherwise, the parts that interact with the hop nub are plastic - there are (very expensive) brands like Maxx that are all-metal but they are the minority.

ZCI Plastic and Metal versions use the same plastic parts. Only the body of the hop unit differs.

image.png.92b02ebf3ea5d383e06553e045ed24ce.png

image.png.83b6f00346b88027fd5162ff519240c3.png

43 minutes ago, Stillers80 said:

This particular hop unit is only about 8 hours old, so I’m hesitant to go plastic again (though for around £5 I suppose it’s not a bank breaker). Is it possible to change the nub in a plastic unit?

(For context I run a DE M908A as a DMR, with plenty of upgrades to it, shooting 0.40g and have used ZCI plastic hop units in DE M908A's + M904E's + M906C's)

I've bought quite a few ZCI plastic M4 / AR15 hop units and they're substantially better than the stock DE ones. The plastic is way stronger, the arm is better (especially if your stock arm is the one that retains the odd DE figure of 8 rubber nub), the pin holding the arm in place is metal and not flimsy plastic like the DE one. Pair it with a Maple Leaf Macaron bucking and an Omega nub and you're good to go (make sure the Omega nub is absolutely dead center).

As Speedbird said the ZCI metal unit offers zero benefit over the plastic one.

Also, from my perspective, the only reason to go with a hop unit even more expensive than the ZCI plastic if if you need to hop VERY heavy BB's and get into things like r-hop.

1 hour ago, Fatboy40 said:

(For context I run a DE M908A as a DMR, with plenty of upgrades to it, shooting 0.40g and have used ZCI plastic hop units in DE M908A's + M904E's + M906C's)

I've bought quite a few ZCI plastic M4 / AR15 hop units and they're substantially better than the stock DE ones. The plastic is way stronger, the arm is better (especially if your stock arm is the one that retains the odd DE figure of 8 rubber nub), the pin holding the arm in place is metal and not flimsy plastic like the DE one. Pair it with a Maple Leaf Macaron bucking and an Omega nub and you're good to go (make sure the Omega nub is absolutely dead center).

As Speedbird said the ZCI metal unit offers zero benefit over the plastic one.

Also, from my perspective, the only reason to go with a hop unit even more expensive than the ZCI plastic if if you need to hop VERY heavy BB's and get into things like r-hop.

It’s that plastic pin arm that that had broken, the moulded end cap has sheared off! I have gone Macaron & Omega, so once the new unit comes I can change over. I may also look to go DMR further down the line, so I may be bending your ear for advice! Thanks

2 hours ago, Speedbird_666 said:

In almost all hop units, metal bodied or otherwise, the parts that interact with the hop nub are plastic - there are (very expensive) brands like Maxx that are all-metal but they are the minority.

ZCI Plastic and Metal versions use the same plastic parts. Only the body of the hop unit differs.

image.png.92b02ebf3ea5d383e06553e045ed24ce.png

image.png.83b6f00346b88027fd5162ff519240c3.png

Thank you 🙏 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.