G&G MP5 Hop Unit Replacement

MrTea

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey everyone. Just been testing my MP5 prior to attending a skirmish and found that the hop didn't appear to be making a difference to what the BBs were doing. After stripping the gun down and inspecting the hop unit it appears that the sliding part of the hop unit has been sheared/snapped off (potentially by the techs who worked on my gun) meaning the hop cannot be adjusted. After some googling I can only find one place with a original G&G MP5 hop unit it stock however it's in Italy. I've found a CYMA hop unit that looks the same but that's in Czech Rep.

Do I absolutely have to use the original G&G hop unit or can I reliably substitute it for anything else?

I'll be ringing the techs tomorrow to ask if they happen to have any spares kicking around.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by MrTea

https://en.tradesoft.fi/product/3744/gg-hop-up-chamber-set-for-mp5-series

The images on this store page show it best. See that screw on the side? That connects to the rod which you slide backwards/forwards to adjust your hop. On mine, it has snapped on the far side away from the screw.

2 minutes ago, strykerles said:

Powair6 have some cyma mp5 hop units in stock, they have DHL delivery too

Are the CYMA and G&G hop units interchangable? They look so similar but pictures dont account for size.

Having decided it was worth a punt, I did order the CYMA hop unit... x4... just in case. Shipping from Powair6 was fast as always. Can't fault them, would recommend to anyone.

I've got home from work tonight and started messing about. The CYMA ones are definately lower quality than the G&G hop unit. I even had to use the G&G C-clamp for the barrel as the CYMA ones wasn't big enough and kept trying to jump off. Installing the Omega nub was a pain in the ass as always.

Looking down the barrel, I can see my hop acutally working! All I need to do now is get back to my brothers place and see what the feeding, reliability and range is like.

Interestingly, G&G support got back into contact with me and they said they'd sell me a hop unit directly from them. $23.10 for the hop unit and $10.11 for shipping to the UK. Might order it to see if they're still manufacturing them they same way and for the sake of having the proper unit. The CYMA is serving as an emergency repair.

Edited by MrTea

7 minutes ago, MrTea said:

Having decided it was worth a punt, I did order the CYMA hop unit... x4... just in case. Shipping from Powair6 was fast as always. Can't fault them, would recommend to anyone.

I've got home from work tonight and started messing about. The CYMA ones are definately lower quality than the G&G hop unit. I even had to use the G&G C-clamp for the barrel as the CYMA ones wasn't big enough and kept trying to jump off. Installing the Omega nub was a pain in the ass as always.

Looking down the barrel, I can see my hop acutally working! All I need to do now is get back to my brothers place and see what the feeding, reliability and range is like.

Interestingly, G&G support got back into contact with me and they said they'd sell me a hop unit directly from them. $23.10 for the hop unit and $10.11 for shipping to the UK. Might order it to see if they're still manufacturing them they same way and for the sake of having the proper unit. The CYMA is serving as an emergency repair.

G&G’s parts service is very good; Apple is very efficient.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.