Want to upgrade my SCAR-L

Jerryy

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I'm sort of new to upgrading in airsoft and vie done a ton of research but I just want to be sure from multiple opinions and minds in what I have selected (whether or not it is the correct component to purchase). below I have pictures of the parts I have seen other people use and through my research are what I can use/need:

image.png.b62b22281bf37b21aad8f535c40fa1b9.pngimage.thumb.png.bd2225d013c241ede7fae61c067171c7.png

Any help is welcome and thank you for reading :)

1st which brand of scar do you have there might be compatability issues. Next what do want the gun to actually do? Next don't do everything at once you need to know what mod actually works. I would start with just the hop rubber and nub. See what that does maybe Next get the barrel. Would then get the mosfet (maybe at same time). see if that combination gives you the results you want before spending more money. Also if you don't have one get a chrono. No point moding a gun only to be told you can't use it on the game day if it fails a chrono spot check.

1 hour ago, BigStew said:

1st which brand of scar do you have there might be compatability issues. Next what do want the gun to actually do? Next don't do everything at once you need to know what mod actually works. I would start with just the hop rubber and nub. See what that does maybe Next get the barrel. Would then get the mosfet (maybe at same time). see if that combination gives you the results you want before spending more money. Also if you don't have one get a chrono. No point moding a gun only to be told you can't use it on the game day if it fails a chrono spot check.

its the double bell scar l 803y, the parts I have chosen have come from another build by a guy on this forum I asked for the specifics and he helped me out with it (he had the exact same gun). I would like the gun to be more accurate, a little snappier and fire faster, at the moment I know the internals are absolutely fine, I would just like to make a start in modifications and get a better performance out of my gear, if you understand where I'm coming from. I'm pretty sure my dad has purchased a chrono too for his guns and its on the way. thank you for your response too!

I think that is just a standard v2 gearbox. It's a good list. I personally prefer plastic nozzles and i would make measure the existing nozzle to make sure they are the same. Onc3 you have a chrono get a base line of the range, grouping, rate of fire and power you are getting. Stick to changing one thing at a time then test again. Also do you have grease? You can be amazed at the increases you can get from just cleaning, greasing and shimming your gearbox .

Oh you also want to check how much play there is in your hop arm if its loose you can get inconsistent hop applied to the bb. That's sortable with shims.

1 hour ago, BigStew said:

I think that is just a standard v2 gearbox. It's a good list. I personally prefer plastic nozzles and i would make measure the existing nozzle to make sure they are the same. Onc3 you have a chrono get a base line of the range, grouping, rate of fire and power you are getting. Stick to changing one thing at a time then test again. Also do you have grease? You can be amazed at the increases you can get from just cleaning, greasing and shimming your gearbox .

Oh you also want to check how much play there is in your hop arm if its loose you can get inconsistent hop applied to the bb. That's sortable with shims.

Awesome ill take that all into consideration, I have a ton of gun grease and I haven't an issue with hopping as far as I'm aware but ill take a look at that as well, shimming is definitely on my to do list. Thank you so much for your help!

Seeing as the Scar has a standard V2 gearbox, I would go for the Perun Hybrid V2 rather than the AB++ this will give you a lot more features and reliability especially if you are running 12:1 gears (personally I would just stick to 13:1 and you can definitely find them cheaper than that anyway -check AK2M4.co.uk he is cheaper for the ZCI barrel you have listed as well). Your motor is a similar story, I would go with an ZCI, SHS or XT brand one for about £30, the one you have isn't that special and is overpriced IMO. If you want better performance and don't mind spending a bit more, go with a warhead brushless. Everything else looks fine, not a massive fan of SHS ali nozzles as I had my M14 one snap instantly when dry firing the gearbox without even having a hop unit on (looking at it afterwards it was so thin I can't believe how poor the design was and I had to switch back to stock).

I have several double bell P90s and honestly couldn't be more impressed with their stock internals, the stock pistons are some of the best pistons out there and their gears and shimming all seem fine from the factory. It is amazing how good they can be out of the box with only un upgraded hop rubber and a brushless motor without even touching the gearbox. I have been eyeing up the Scar for a while but haven't managed to justify pulling the trigger just yet.

just realised after writing that that you have a replacement piston in your list. If it has the black piston with full metal rack and the red aluminium piston head already in your Scar I would just use that. I would buy up these pistons if I could find a place to as I love them and haven't had any problems with them in anything. If you still want to change your piston then you will probably need a new piston head as the piston heads tend to be thread locked on so tightly that it is impossible to separate them from the piston themselves.

54 minutes ago, Terry_Rist said:

Seeing as the Scar has a standard V2 gearbox, I would go for the Perun Hybrid V2 rather than the AB++ this will give you a lot more features and reliability especially if you are running 12:1 gears (personally I would just stick to 13:1 and you can definitely find them cheaper than that anyway -check AK2M4.co.uk he is cheaper for the ZCI barrel you have listed as well). Your motor is a similar story, I would go with an ZCI, SHS or XT brand one for about £30, the one you have isn't that special and is overpriced IMO. If you want better performance and don't mind spending a bit more, go with a warhead brushless. Everything else looks fine, not a massive fan of SHS ali nozzles as I had my M14 one snap instantly when dry firing the gearbox without even having a hop unit on (looking at it afterwards it was so thin I can't believe how poor the design was and I had to switch back to stock).

I have several double bell P90s and honestly couldn't be more impressed with their stock internals, the stock pistons are some of the best pistons out there and their gears and shimming all seem fine from the factory. It is amazing how good they can be out of the box with only un upgraded hop rubber and a brushless motor without even touching the gearbox. I have been eyeing up the Scar for a while but haven't managed to justify pulling the trigger just yet.

just realised after writing that that you have a replacement piston in your list. If it has the black piston with full metal rack and the red aluminium piston head already in your Scar I would just use that. I would buy up these pistons if I could find a place to as I love them and haven't had any problems with them in anything. If you still want to change your piston then you will probably need a new piston head as the piston heads tend to be thread locked on so tightly that it is impossible to separate them from the piston themselves.

Awesome thanks for the information! I will look into all of those components now, as for the pistons I was thinking id need to upgrade it for the high speeds gear sets as the stock may not be able to handle it. for now though I will like the other guy who commented change it bit by bit and start with a new hop up rubber etc. and thank you for the heads up on the piston heads. thank you very much for your reply!

1 hour ago, Jerryy said:

thank you very much for your reply!

No problem, Hope it all goes well for you.

One thing I just realised is that I am not sure the upgraded spring guide you have will work. As far as I was aware the Double Bell Scar has a quick change spring system and the spring guide you have listed is the normal type. It is worth checking at least before you buy what your gun has, it looks like it may even come with a metal spring guide with a bearing already installed in which case there may be little point to changing it. I usually only upgrade a spring guide if it is plastic from stock and doesn't have any form of washer or bearing on it.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.