Will using a 11.1v with a m90 spring damage my specna edge?

Cyberwolf

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Cyberwolf changed the title to Will using a 11.1v with a m90 spring damage my specna edge?
  • Supporters

Ahoy and welcome.

Specna Arms guns typically come with 2 springs, an M90 and an M120.  The M120 is too hot for a UK AEG (unless you seriously short stroke it or otherwise reduce the cylinder volume).  The M90 will notionally give you ~295fps with a 0.2g BB or 0.8J, fine for CQB but well under the 1.13J limit at most sites. However, it's all down to air seal and in practice they tend to come out a bit higher, I was seeing more like 0.9J with the M90 (and with spot-on air-seal and a tightbore barrel you can get >1.1J out of an M90).

A M100 spring is likely to get you closer to most UK outdoor site limits, but it's not an exact science and having a chronograph at home can avoid disappointment on site.

Back to the battery.  With an 11.1V and the stock motor and M90 spring in an Edge, I was getting regular double-shots on semi.  The basic mosfet in the Edge guns does nothing to prevent this, it's just there for trigger protection.  With the same battery and beefier motors (Big Dragon M140s) I was getting the same double shots in another M4 (M90) and a G36 (M100)

This is always a risk with 11.1V and if it happens there's not much you can do except fit a half decent mosfet with active braking and/or precock.

You might get lucky, you might not.

tl;dr version - you probably want 7.4V, and an M100 spring.

• Supporters

It should be usable enough with the stock M90 and 0.28g.  The Specna rotary hop unit is pretty decent, so its effective range won't be much short of anything else out there.  It just won't reach out quite as far as something tuned for bang on the site limit.  However, at that extra 5-10m you're rarely going to get hits anyway.

I'd run it as stock at least once to get a baseline in performance and see what the site chronograph says, then make a spring change decision based on that.  It's always better to come out 0.1J under than any amount over.

45 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

It should be usable enough with the stock M90 and 0.28g.  The Specna rotary hop unit is pretty decent, so its effective range won't be much short of anything else out there.  It just won't reach out quite as far as something tuned for bang on the site limit.  However, at that extra 5-10m you're rarely going to get hits anyway.

I'd run it as stock at least once to get a baseline in performance and see what the site chronograph says, then make a spring change decision based on that.  It's always better to come out 0.1J under than any amount over.

OK thank you very much 

Thanks 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.