TM Glock 17 - Gas Question

Searley

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi guys,

Apologies for the silly question here. Basically, I played a few games about 8 years ago before an operation put me out of action for a long, long time, then recently got the bug again. I have a Tokyo Marui Glock 17, that I bought back then, and was sold some Cyber Gun Extreme Blow Back APS 3 gas with it. Is this current gas too powerful?

What is the best gas to use for this? I've tried to look up the answer, and there seems to be some mixed responses. An airsoft shop I went into recently said absolutely Green Gas, as have some on here with a search. Where online, multiple reviews say use green gas at your own risk (I'm guessing because of the plastic slide) and instead opt for 144a to be safe. Would it just be a case of the slide wears/breaks and replace, or can it damage internals too?

I've seen there are upgrades you can get, like metal guarder slides but I'm a bit reluctant as the real steel is obviously, well not steel!

Anyway, I know they are a popular sidearm, so what do you use and why?

Thanks so much for the help in advance!

P.S. Apologies, just seen this should absolute have been put in Technical Help > Gas Guns, could it be moved please?

Edited by Searley
Apologies, just seen this should absolute have been put in Technical Help > Gas Guns

The guns are designed to run on 144A gas and in the UK other than in single digit temperatures will work fine. this means low FPS which many people think anything under 320FPS is bad.  you can us higher power gases (Cyber Gun Extreme Blow Back APS 3 gas appears to be a lower pressure than green gas) just watch yourself when the temperature gets into the 20s things may go wrong.

Now here's the thing you can run the gun for years on over pressured gas before it breaks (you will be wearing it out quicker than using 144A gas) or it could self detonate after a few games (external and internal parts can be damaged). My main concern is you have an 8ish year old gun that i assume you have done no maintenance  in that time. if this is the case you should field strip the gun clean it and lube with silicon oil as the thing is probably bone dry. 

If you service it it should be ok on the gas you have with current temperature. As regards to upgrades they are not drop in. Just chucking parts at gun can make it functionally worse, will take fettling to fit especially fitting a significantly heavier slide. I personal take the view that GBB pistols are disposable items unless its a single part that has broken it's cheaper just to replace the gun than upgrade. so long winded sum up service the gun 1st. clean it after every game day use the gas you have until it runs out then personally gets some 144a  and accept it will break at some point as all airsoft guns will do.

On 17/03/2022 at 23:52, BigStew said:

The guns are designed to run on 144A gas and in the UK other than in single digit temperatures will work fine. this means low FPS which many people think anything under 320FPS is bad.  you can us higher power gases (Cyber Gun Extreme Blow Back APS 3 gas appears to be a lower pressure than green gas) just watch yourself when the temperature gets into the 20s things may go wrong.

Now here's the thing you can run the gun for years on over pressured gas before it breaks (you will be wearing it out quicker than using 144A gas) or it could self detonate after a few games (external and internal parts can be damaged). My main concern is you have an 8ish year old gun that i assume you have done no maintenance  in that time. if this is the case you should field strip the gun clean it and lube with silicon oil as the thing is probably bone dry. 

If you service it it should be ok on the gas you have with current temperature. As regards to upgrades they are not drop in. Just chucking parts at gun can make it functionally worse, will take fettling to fit especially fitting a significantly heavier slide. I personal take the view that GBB pistols are disposable items unless its a single part that has broken it's cheaper just to replace the gun than upgrade. so long winded sum up service the gun 1st. clean it after every game day use the gas you have until it runs out then personally gets some 144a  and accept it will break at some point as all airsoft guns will do.

Thanks so much @BigStew.

I didn't take it straight out and start firing it again, I looked up a video and stripped it down, cleaned and lubed with a silicon oil spray. I was wary of that exact reason you mentioned. Thanks again!

I've used TM pistols for almost a decade on green gas and colemans propane. Never had a problem. My current TM Glock 18 I've had since 2019 and average around 500 bb's through it in a day.

You hear horror stories about slides flying off but honestly, but I've never experienced that, nor has my wider group of airsoft playing friends.

I'll concede that it'll wear your gun out but the average player is likely to want a new gun way before they wear out a pistol.

1 hour ago, MAX DICKER said:

I've used TM pistols for almost a decade on green gas and colemans propane. Never had a problem. My current TM Glock 18 I've had since 2019 and average around 500 bb's through it in a day.

You hear horror stories about slides flying off but honestly, but I've never experienced that, nor has my wider group of airsoft playing friends.

I'll concede that it'll wear your gun out but the average player is likely to want a new gun way before they wear out a pistol.

I personally have seen a couple of catastrophic failures on TM guns ( surprisingly i have seen significantly more major failures on guns with metal slides). With over pressured gas you are more likely to see warping over time causing the slide to stick/jam completely (Technically an advantage to plastic as it's more flexible than pot metal), internal failure generally the hammer mech causing the guns to be come sluggish until something breaks terminally.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.