Well R7 battery replacement/upgrade help request

KirbyHCI

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I'm not too sharp after a few concussions and working stuff out isn't exactly my forte anymore.

I need a hand working out what exactly I need.

My friend has a Well R7 (MP7) and the battery has given up the ghost, what would be the best replacement battery, possibly one that counts as an upgrade?

Would this work, or does it need the adaptor:
Battery: https://airsoftdirect.uk.com/tokyo-marui-500mah-battery-for-aep-airsoft/
"Adaptor": https://airsoftdirect.uk.com/tokyo-marui-7-2v-battery-adapter/

And can that battery be charged by the Ni-MH charger that came with the Well R7, or would I need to buy the TM charger specified for this battery? It looks like the old charger should work with it, but I don't want to screw the new battery up.

Failing this, what would folks suggest to get this gun operational as quickly and cheaply as possible, as my local airsoft site is closing and we want to go as much as possible before January 1st 2022.

Excuse my dumb, it's not contagious. 

Edited by KirbyHCI

I've heard the TM NiMH i pretty good and will definitely be getting some as a backup for my mp7. I don't have any experience with the Well MP7, but I have the TM MP7 and I use that same adapter with lipos, so I imagine it should work, as long as the Well is built like the TM? I have no idea on that so I can't confirm unfortunately.

The batteries I use are these (with that same adapter above. The TM MP7 comes with it as standard):

https://www.airsoftworld.net/world-exclusive-lithium-polymer-aep-battery-li-po-lipo-7-4v-550mah.html

https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/nuprol-7-4v-550mah-lipo-aep-battery

The benefit is the trigger response is snappy and the full auto ROF is pretty nice. The issue with these lipos, however, is you cannot storage charge them without something like this adapter, as the good quality chargers require both the balance lead and main lead to be connected to charge them, but AEP lipos don't have a main lead, only a balance lead.

https://www.taiwangun.com/battery-chargers/adapter-for-li-po-aep-batteries-ipower

Honestly, I'd just get the TM NiMH battery that you linked, plus the adapter. if the battery doesn't fit the charger (I imagine it should?) then you can buy the TM charger, but no need to shell out when it could very easily work out.

EDIT: This got me thinking and I can't believe I didn't try using the adapter to storage charge as well. I have just plugged my AEP lipo into my fancy-pants charger using the TM adapter plus this attachment:

https://www.socomtactical.net/jg-aep-battery-charger-adapter/

If I'm about to burn my house down, somebody let me know, but from my rudimentary understanding of electronics, I believe this should work as my charger is a lipo charger and this is merely an adapter to get it to plug into my smart charger.

Edited by Impulse

Hey, thanks. After a little more research, measuring, eyeballing, and at least 1 purchase that's already being returned. I also now believe that adaptor should fit too and I'm thinking go for the TM battery, at least as the Ni-MH simple-for-now/back-up for later option, if no one pipes up here saying it wont fit (with the adaptor). lol.

I do want to get a LiPo battery for it as an upgrade eventually so maybe I should just do that, but I'd have to buy a few extra things for that switch and I'd want to get one of those fireproof charger bags/boxes as I live in a rather small flat with lots of neighbours in close proximity so I'd rather be safe than sorry. Might be best for simplicity to just get the Ni-MH for now and switch later- Plus it might be good to have the Ni-MH as a backup even if I do go Li-Po after.

A. Anyone have any advice/info on what can cause a Ni-MH battery to stop taking on charge/running out of charge quickly even after a seemingly full charge, so I can avoid doing those things.

B. Any recommendations for if I did switch to Li-Po with I guess what would be basically the same set up as you, such as what charger to get, how you go about charging/best practices/things to avoid, what Li-Po battery itself to get. (EDIT: Well, you kin of already have, I'm just sleep deprived, will investigate more when my brain works better lol)

C. If anyone notices any problems such as incompatible things, etc., please let me know!

Thanks y'all.

Edited by KirbyHCI

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to double post, but I need help still. I could have just bought a new one of these damn guns in the cost it's taking to get this gun of my friends' running again. I'm spending as if I can get it working I have permission to use it as a loan gun to my friends.

I despise electric guns/batteries/etc. - Always been into airguns so coming into airsoft I just stick to gas all around.

The charger gets burningly hot to the point of a strange smell and the sticker blistering, and the battery isn't far behind. I don't trust this, it doesn't seem right. 

Do y'all think the charger is just busted? I don't want to buy the TM charger (and an adaptor since they don't do UK plugs) only to find it doesn't work too, or that this is somehow "normal" which I highly doubt.

A suggestion for a charger that just works with minimum faff would be great.

Edited by KirbyHCI

• 2 weeks later...

Hey.

Hopefully you've got the issue sorted. If not I have a recommended purchase list:

AEP lipo battery (£16)

TM AEP adapter (£10)

LiPo Charger (£24)

Battery meter (£10)

LiPo charging bag (£5)

20211207_174040.thumb.jpg.b8f333fc147d17a88bc18a978b171b86.jpg

The battery meter and bag are optional. But I do recommend the meter to help ensure you don't over charge/discharge the battery. Lipos can occasionally catch fire so the bag is recommended. If you don't get the bag, at least charge in someplace safe like a kitchen where a small fire won't burn the house down.

Don't use a nihm charger on a lipo.

Don't leave it on charge alone, AEP batterys charge quickly.

Don't charge around things that are flammable.

Edited by NathanW8

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.