Gg Tr4 18 Semi Auto Issue

Sebastian1985

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello all,

Before Covid back in 19, I played 2 games at combat south with a rental, loved it and spent about £400(including battery, charger and extra mag) on this great heavy realistic G&G TR4-18 the following day. 

Can’t remember if it had issues from the first game but on second for sure, but then covid hit hard and time went on.
Very often, when on semi auto, sometimes it just stops and trigger won’t work and I need to put it on full auto otherwise it won’t work. Fire a few bb’s, I then change to safe, semi and works for a few more minutes and gets stuck again. Most of the times on semi it fires like full auto…Also 4 places I been so far they all say semi auto only.
Went back to the shop the other day to the nice gent and was willing to pay the repair(as is been a while and assume is not under warranty anymore) and when he tried to see what is the issue, it bloody worked perfectly well so I kind of looked like an idiot and he said something about pressing the trigger properly and not just to touch it slowly as it can feed more bb’s than just one. 

Is quite annoying to be honest as I start firing and it gets stuck all of a sudden and then need to play with the switch until it works again while my teammates need me to cover etc.

Anyone had this issue and know what seems to be? I am using 11.1 V 1450mah Nuprol with 3 bars as recommended by the gent when bought it. Any thoughts? 
please be gentle as I am not very knowledgable about things like: moffset, gearbox, stock etc, 😂 sorry still at the noob stage

523E3451-62D8-42FB-9BE9-AB2630923CD1.jpeg

Edited by Sebastian1985
Better explanation

Sounds on face value like normal semi-lockup - although I would expect it to be a likely encountered issue if you are running an 11.1v LiPo

That, and you mention that it's firing fully auto even on semi. It implies a cutoff lever/switch issue.

If you fire semi at a steady pace, say 2-3 times a second, does it lock up then?

I had one of these guns waaaay back, and it shot OK in semi even with a 7.4v LiPo.

on an all mechanical system, lock ups in semi are unfortunately frequent.

What happens is the gears sometimes stop in a position where the COL (cut off lever) is half engaged so that the trigger grabs the trolley but when it gets near the switch the half engaged COL lifts it and sends it back to its resting position.

There is no real solution to fix this without resorting to a programmable mosfet. Even then Active Brake doesn't help, you either need precocking (set amount of overspin every time) or get rid of the mechanical cut off via a mosfet with cycle control.

On 01/07/2021 at 08:21, Speedbird_666 said:

Sounds on face value like normal semi-lockup - although I would expect it to be a likely encountered issue if you are running an 11.1v LiPo

That, and you mention that it's firing fully auto even on semi. It implies a cutoff lever/switch issue.

If you fire semi at a steady pace, say 2-3 times a second, does it lock up then?

I had one of these guns waaaay back, and it shot OK in semi even with a 7.4v LiPo.

The battery was given by the gent. Like I said my first day in the shop I knew nothing and was just told this is the battery, this is an extra mag etc. So do you reckon if I change to 7.4v ?

On 01/07/2021 at 17:39, Skara said:

on an all mechanical system, lock ups in semi are unfortunately frequent.

What happens is the gears sometimes stop in a position where the COL (cut off lever) is half engaged so that the trigger grabs the trolley but when it gets near the switch the half engaged COL lifts it and sends it back to its resting position.

There is no real solution to fix this without resorting to a programmable mosfet. Even then Active Brake doesn't help, you either need precocking (set amount of overspin every time) or get rid of the mechanical cut off via a mosfet with cycle control.

That proggramable moffset doesn’t sound expensive(around £20?) you reckon this should be the first thing to do?

£20 seems a bit low.

Perun AB++ retails for about €50 in Europe and is the least expensive mosfet with precocking.

Perun Hybrid is an awesome unit for the price, essentially Titan features at half the price (and half the hassle during installation). I bought two for about €68 a piece.

On the same price bracket as the Hybrids, Gate offers the Warfet, which is similar to the AB++ in terms of features but.

Going up in price, Gate's series of optical mosfets.

You mentioned semi only, a mosfet is not your #1 priority but it's pretty much up there.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.