Advice on Comms

FirsthandSnow

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I was at a gameday on Saturday, there was 4 of us with Comms, all using channel 3 PMR446. There was my dad and I who could speak and hear each other, and 2 friends who could hear and speak to eachother. The issue was my dad and I couldn't speak to our 2 friends, though we could hear them. Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks 

What kind of handsets (even better if you know the models) were you using and were you using any headphones/microphones?

With headphones/microphones the plugs and sockets might look alike and appear to fit but may not be compatible, and also some may only work when pressed in hard (in which case the plastic on the plug can be shaved slightly) 

There are multiple analogue and digital PMR frequency’s, with 16 original analogues, 8 then 16 digitals

and then a newer set of 16 to 32 digitals

If you mix and match the different versions then it should not work as the actual frequencies differ

There is also scrambling,  but if enabled you should not hear anything if you cannot unscramble 

And with the very old cheap versions of digital PMR - a cheap one would only have 8 channels and a fully featured one would have the 38 sub frequencies within the channels.

E.g. channel 3.00 would be different to 3.01

But the cheapest ones would transmit on 3.00 but be able to hear every sub frequency from 3.01 to 3.38

Someone with a handset that supports sub frequencies could only hear true 3.00 and would ignore 3.01 to 3.38.

I used to like to hang onto these types when running games to monitor multiple sub channels

https://kenwoodcommunications.co.uk/files/file/comms/uk/pmr446/PMR446-White-Paper-V6_18AUG2016_JT_KB.pdf

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.